Dodgy Sodastream bottles

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Dodgy Sodastream bottles

Postby longbody » Monday Apr 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi folks,

I'm having some problems with Sodastream bottles.

I set up my kegs a couple of months ago with a sodastream adaptor from Ross at Craftbrewer. The first 2 Sodastream bottles worked as advertised; Screw the bottle in, it butts up against the o-ring, gas goes into regulator.

The 3rd bottle I tried to install yesterday, but it wouldn't screw into the adaptor. It would screw about half way in and jam solid. I cleaned all the gunk off the threads, and examined it and it appears to be undamaged and the same thread as the previous bottle, it just won't screw into the adaptor far enough to operate.

Anyhow, this morning I took the old (empty) bottle down to KMart and got a refill. Bugger me! this one wouldn't screw into the adaptor either! So I scrubbed all the gunk off the threads, and for good measure I cleaned the threads inside of the adaptor also, and, with the assistance of my trusty 12 inch shifter, and a big pair of multigrips, I managed to screw it far enough in to get gas out. The previous bottle (from yesterday) I still can't screw in though.

So that means out of 4 bottles, 2 worked correctly, one required extreme force to work, and one I cannot get gas out of. Is this normal ? Do other people have these problems?
longbody

Re: Dodgy Sodastream bottles

Postby pixelboy » Monday Apr 27, 2009 5:40 pm

all the bottles (old and new) ive tried work ok.. some seem to be "light filled" but they work..
pixelboy

Re: Dodgy Sodastream bottles

Postby earle » Sunday May 10, 2009 8:42 am

Not sure if this applies in your case but there seems to be two different soda stream cylinders. One is slightly shorter and has some sort of adapter ring which has a thread only half as long as those without. This shorter thread means it wont screw in as far and engage. Only foud this out because the idiot at Big W sold me the wrong one.
earle

Return to Kegging