kegorator v make your own

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

kegorator v make your own

Postby Northwest9 » Thursday May 07, 2009 10:43 am

Good Morning

Im after a little bit of advice here. I am going to buy a fridgemate and an old fridge today, for my fermenters.

however, i will be getting into kegs at some stage in the future, i was wondering what people thought of kegorators, (the premade fridge with a tap) that can be bought from a number of places, or buying an old fridge and doing it yourself.

i am leaning towards the kegorator because they are a bit better looking for inside the house, as my garage is detached from the house, and kinda want the beer tap inside rather than wandering all the way down to the shed for each beer

are the kegorators any good?
Northwest9

Re: kegorator v make your own

Postby timmy » Thursday May 07, 2009 11:54 am

Depends on whether you want to spend the money.

I put mine together for about $220 including:
- old chest freezer off ebay ($100)
- temp controller from Jaycar (~$30)
- twin tap font (~$90)

It doesn't look as good as the kegerators but I'm looking to modify the lid on my freezer so I can run 4 kegs.....

Cheers,

Tim
timmy

Postby drsmurto » Thursday May 07, 2009 12:03 pm

Very pricey IMO

Easiest method is kegs and picnic taps in a fridge.

For everything from picnic taps to setups that look like a pub check out this thread on AHB

I have my bar carefully disguised on the outside as a single car garage. Inside its sole purpose is a bar. And yes, my partner agreed to this before we bought the place. I use another shed for the brewery. The cars are parked out in the weather!

Yet to make some labels to cover the tooheys etc. The drip tray is not there, probably getting a clean.

drsmurto

Postby Bum » Thursday May 07, 2009 12:20 pm

This looks pretty good to me (though not nearly as good as the doctor's set up):
http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/p ... cts_id=274
Only $550.

Haven't got one and haven't used one so not really a recommendation - just bringing it to your attention in case it helps.
Bum

Postby drsmurto » Thursday May 07, 2009 12:41 pm

Should have costed my setup for comparison purposes except that i got the font/taps/drip tray thru a closed down pub.

Kegs/reg/lines/disconnects were all thru Ross @ craftbrewer who spent plenty of his time on the phone running me thru the pros and cons of what i wanted. The JG fittings cost me extra but make my life so much easier.

The other thing to consider is that i have the beer lines running out of the fridge up to the font so ~1m of line is outside the fridge. If you go the taps bolted directly to a fridge/freezer you dont have this issue.

It all depends on the look you are going for. I was offered the font at too good a price to refuse. Plus, the red gum bar was already there when i bought the house. I wont be leaving it there if/when i leave!

My fridge is 100% fridge, no space wasted by having a freezer. So i have a shelf above the kegs for glasses. The pic below was taken as i was setting up so only shows 3 kegs. There is space for 4 but i only have 3 taps so the 4th has a picnic tap. It was meant to be the back-up keg for when a keg runs out but having 4 beers on tap is better than 3!

drsmurto

Postby skurvy84 » Thursday May 07, 2009 1:44 pm

i love the look of your set up, can't wait for my house to be finished and built so i can do the same *fingers crossed/parter permiting*
drsmurto = trusted seller :) :) :)
skurvy84

Postby gregb » Thursday May 07, 2009 2:08 pm

drsmurto wrote: And yes, my partner agreed to this before we bought the place. I use another shed for the brewery.

I think the real question Doc, is how did you get Mrs Doc to agree? :D
gregb

Postby Northwest9 » Thursday May 07, 2009 2:09 pm

Bum wrote:This looks pretty good to me (though not nearly as good as the doctor's set up):
http://www.pinnaclewholesalers.com.au/p ... cts_id=274
Only $550.

Haven't got one and haven't used one so not really a recommendation - just bringing it to your attention in case it helps.

yeah, they are on ebay for $499 + 75 for shipping, but talking to my LHBS suggested that some of the discount stuff isnt quite all its cracked up to be.

the doctors setup certainly has got me thinking.... after all, the garage is my space.,...
Northwest9

Postby drsmurto » Thursday May 07, 2009 3:47 pm

gregb wrote:
drsmurto wrote: And yes, my partner agreed to this before we bought the place. I use another shed for the brewery.

I think the real question Doc, is how did you get Mrs Doc to agree? :D

Having a 1/2 acre block helps, she has loads of room to garden to her hearts content while i get to take over at least 2 of the sheds for brewing/drinking.
drsmurto

Postby chadjaja » Thursday May 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Dont most of them come with CUB type couplers etc meaning you have to switch that over to ball locks??

I reckon they are pretty pricey for what they are and most only have two taps at the most. I say get a freezer and add a collar. Much cheaper to build and MUCH cheaper to run as well. When you add up the cost of adding the kegs and other bits to the system on top of what the kegarator costs you a keezer build saves you a bundle if you get a cheap second hand one as I did. Tight fit for cornys in the fridge too and most likely you will have your gas bottle on the outside as well.

Bit of paint and they can look pretty darn good.
chadjaja

Return to Kegging