Lots of head, but no beading

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Lots of head, but no beading

Postby Neil » Monday Jun 01, 2009 9:53 am

Hi folks

Apologies in advance if this has been covered before on this site but I have had my keg in the fridge carbing up at c. 17psi over the last week and while I get beer out of the tap okay, I'm getting too much froth (which subsides soon enough) and a fairly flat beer with virtually no beading. I wouldn't have thought that I would have overcarbed the beer at that pressure. Any ideas what's going wrong here? The beer is a CSA clone, and the fridge is at 8C. There's 3m of standard beer line on the tap.

Cheers

Neil
Neil

Re: Lots of head, but no beading

Postby chadjaja » Monday Jun 01, 2009 11:35 am

Give it another week. One week isn't long enough even at 17psi because the rise in your fridge temp at 8 degrees means you need more gas to carb it.
chadjaja

Postby Neil » Monday Jun 01, 2009 4:54 pm

chadjaja wrote:Give it another week. One week isn't long enough even at 17psi because the rise in your fridge temp at 8 degrees means you need more gas to carb it.

Thanks for that chadjaja. Makes sense. I've just turned the fridge up a bit to try and speed things up a bit.

Cheers

Neil
Neil

Postby chadjaja » Monday Jun 01, 2009 5:34 pm

17 psi at 8 degrees will eventually give you 2.59 volumes of CO2. Pretty standard middle ground for carbonation.
chadjaja

Postby Neil » Monday Jun 01, 2009 7:46 pm

chadjaja wrote:17 psi at 8 degrees will eventually give you 2.59 volumes of CO2. Pretty standard middle ground for carbonation.

Thanks for that chadjaja. The beer is a Coopers Sparkling Ale clone, so I'm hoping that will be about the right carbonation for that. I actually tried a glass of it earlier on tonight, and it has more carbonation than before, so we're heading in the right direction. However, and a bit OT, the beer is a bit unpleasant. It's got a slightly harsh bitterness and a slightly strange aroma. It definitely isn't infected but I wonder if I got the chloride/sulfate balance out of kilter and made it too dry and bitter. I didn't record adding salts, etc. to the mash but I know I did. It's a standard CSA recipe with SuperPride hop pellets at 90 mins. (FWH) and at 20 mins. Is there any way I can fix this? Could I chuck some Amarillo or similar into the keg to try and alter that flavour, or would that just be a waste of hops?

Cheers

Neil
Neil

Return to Kegging