Gas/air in Keg beerline

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

Gas/air in Keg beerline

Postby Tibby » Monday Jun 13, 2005 9:38 am

Attention Keggers: Recently I have been getting air pockets in the beer line after pouring a pint. After the tap snaps closed I watch the small bubbles appear along the line, (not leaking in).

They then race up to the top of the line to form one big air/gas pocket. When I pour the next pint, it blows the pour.

This wastes alot of beer and can leave you pouring 2 pints to get one.

I am informed that it is over carbonation. The beer s imply can't hold the gas and dumps it when it reaches the warmes part of the area; the line.

I never used to get it with Full strength, but because I have beer on tap, I have started brewing light (500gms per 18 litres).

Do any of the "Chemists" out there know if light beer has a lower carbonation threshold than full strength?

My carbonation is as follows:

Prime beer with CO2 flush O2.
Refrigerate 1 day (fluid takes on gas better when cold)
2 days at 200 Kpa (then back to 80)
Pour at 80 Kpa.

Any tips appreciated

Thanks
Tibby

Postby munkee » Monday Jun 13, 2005 10:36 am

munkee

Postby grabman » Monday Jun 13, 2005 10:43 am

munkee, ok it was mildly amusing for a while, jokes over now, time to move on!!!

Tibby, how far above keg is tap? I have heard that if it it is too much you can have problems.
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Guest » Monday Jun 13, 2005 10:57 am

Grabman, its on a gun, hence the ability to see and observer the whole line. Thanks for input.

Monkee, You did the same to my other post, (hence your little joke). You are the reason I do not go to brew meetups or get involved in any Brew clubs.

Find a result in search for this topic smart arse.

Anyone else opinions welcome.

Thanks

Postby Dogger Dan » Monday Jun 13, 2005 9:02 pm

If the line is the highest point a gas pocket will form there. I would be interested to know how overcarbonation has anything to do with this.

The only other thing I can think of is your tubing is expanding allowing the beer to de-gas

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby Friar » Monday Jun 13, 2005 9:12 pm

This may help
from the ESB website

(1) the beer is too heady and tastes to flat.The beer is over gassed and you are loosing all the gas in your head when you pour the beer. A common sign of this is that the line from the keg will turn straight to bubbles when you stop pouring. Simply degas the keg as explained in “in a hurry”, OR you are trying to pour the beer to quick, turn the gas pressure down.

In a hurry?:

Shaking the beer will make the beer absorb the gas quicker. Once the keg is cold, attach the gas at 300kpa and rock the keg fairly vigorously for around 4 mins. Take the gas off and let the keg settle for around an hour. If its not gassy enough, simply re-attach the gas and shake for another 30 seconds. But also remember to let it settle again. If it should be over gassed simply release all the gas and rock the keg gently for 15-20 seconds and then release the gas again. Repeat this process until your beer pours ok.

kudos to those at ESB

hope this helps
I'm not as think as you drunk I am
Friar

Postby Hrundi V Bakshi » Friday Jun 17, 2005 11:29 pm

Please, if it is not too late. Be checking the seal of the o-ring on the dip-tube. There should be a seal that is around the outside of the dip tube where it meets the keg. When this seal is leaks, CO2 is getting into the beer line.
Hrundi V Bakshi

Return to Kegging