sodastream bottle??

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

sodastream bottle??

Postby unclegunther » Tuesday Sep 15, 2009 9:02 pm

Hey there,
am new to all of this, just in the process of setting up my kegging system, and have got my first brew fermenting as we speak,
my question, and I would appreciate some advice/assistance, am wondering if my soda stream bottle I have just bought is powerfull enough to carbonate my brew and pump the beer..

according to the gauges, once I connected all hoses the regulator says the pressure is only 15bar.. not enough to carbonate??
is that right?

any advice?

thankyou in advance

:roll:
unclegunther

Re: sodastream bottle??

Postby drsmurto » Wednesday Sep 16, 2009 11:18 am

15 bar? Are you sure?

That's 1500 kPa or a tad more than 200 psi in the old money.

That doesn't sound right for any bottle.

1.5 bar would make more sense and if that's the case you can carbonate at that pressure but it will take a few days.

my reg is set to ~6-7 psi at 9C.
drsmurto

Postby unclegunther » Wednesday Sep 16, 2009 8:52 pm

yeah,
I apologise..
the regulator actually reads about 5PSI, and then once I turn the switch to allow the co2 through the lines to the kegs, with the output lines diconnected, the reading drops to about 0PSI..
pretty sure there is not sufficient co2 pressure to gas the beer,
the soda stream bottle is only new, perhaps I should take this back, hey...
hmmmmmm what you think? should the co2 pressure be more then this do you think?
anyone?
unclegunther

Postby drsmurto » Thursday Sep 17, 2009 10:26 am

5psi is just enough for pouring but not really enough for carbonation unless you like your beers in the english style like me!

I'd get a bigger bottle.......
drsmurto

Postby Shine » Wednesday Nov 18, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm new to this as well. Just got my first four kegs delivered and then discovered a peculiarity about living in the NT (at least the Alice Springs part). You can't own your own gas cylinder and take it somewhere to be filled up. It seems completely crazy to me but that is the way they do things here. I have to rent a CO2 bottle (about $250/year) and then pay to have it filled when it runs dry. So, I'm looking for some alternative methods for pushing the beer. I plan on priming in the keg but I really need some ideas on getting around this $250/year thing (and leaving Alice Springs -- though a very plausible solution -- isn't workable at this juncture).

Also, I got new seal kits for the kegs and no instructions on how or what to do. The main hatch seal was a no brainer (it only took about 6 hours to change that one out), but I also have these 'O-rings' that I assume go to the posts but I'd like to make sure before I pull out the blow torch and disassemble my keg into a nice collection of useless parts.
Shine

Postby Tipsy » Thursday Nov 19, 2009 7:19 am

Shine wrote:but I also have these 'O-rings' that I assume go to the posts but I'd like to make sure before I pull out the blow torch and disassemble my keg into a nice collection of useless parts.

An angle grinder works better than a blow torch :wink: and yes they are for the posts.
Tipsy

Postby drsmurto » Saturday Nov 21, 2009 4:16 pm

Shine wrote:I'm new to this as well. Just got my first four kegs delivered and then discovered a peculiarity about living in the NT (at least the Alice Springs part). You can't own your own gas cylinder and take it somewhere to be filled up. It seems completely crazy to me but that is the way they do things here. I have to rent a CO2 bottle (about $250/year) and then pay to have it filled when it runs dry. So, I'm looking for some alternative methods for pushing the beer. I plan on priming in the keg but I really need some ideas on getting around this $250/year thing (and leaving Alice Springs -- though a very plausible solution -- isn't workable at this juncture).

Nothing unusual about that mate, a large numbers of brewers all around Australia rent their CO2 gas bottles.'

Its standard practice with companies like BOC, Supagas and Air Liquide.

I pay $120/year with Supagas for a 10kg bottle. Normally refill it every 6 months or so.
drsmurto

Postby Longwood-65 » Saturday Nov 21, 2009 9:31 pm

I have a size "G" cylinder from BOC gasses $168 per year rental on the bottle (vic), had it a bit over a year and the bottle is still about 1/3 full. ( I go through about 3 kegs a fortnight) I live in country Vic and got a large bottle because it's a long way to the nearest depot to get it filled/changed over.
Longwood-65

Postby Shaun » Friday Dec 11, 2009 2:03 pm

Shine wrote:I'm new to this as well. Just got my first four kegs delivered and then discovered a peculiarity about living in the NT (at least the Alice Springs part). You can't own your own gas cylinder and take it somewhere to be filled up. It seems completely crazy to me but that is the way they do things here. I have to rent a CO2 bottle (about $250/year) and then pay to have it filled when it runs dry. So, I'm looking for some alternative methods for pushing the beer. I plan on priming in the keg but I really need some ideas on getting around this $250/year thing (and leaving Alice Springs -- though a very plausible solution -- isn't workable at this juncture).

Also, I got new seal kits for the kegs and no instructions on how or what to do. The main hatch seal was a no brainer (it only took about 6 hours to change that one out), but I also have these 'O-rings' that I assume go to the posts but I'd like to make sure before I pull out the blow torch and disassemble my keg into a nice collection of useless parts.

You can bulk prime the keg then use a soda stream bottle to pour.
Shaun

Postby Gym_ » Friday Dec 11, 2009 4:21 pm

Co2 Costs me $0 a year unlimited supply lol
beauty is in the eye of the beerholder
Gym_

Postby Shanus » Friday Dec 11, 2009 9:12 pm

how do you get that great deal?
Shanus

Postby Gym_ » Saturday Dec 12, 2009 5:30 am

For the past 6 months i have been making my own Co2 ...
Gym_

Postby Shanus » Saturday Dec 12, 2009 8:47 am

can you share some details on how i could do this as well?
and how do you get it in a bottle at the right pressure?
Shanus

Postby Gym_ » Saturday Dec 12, 2009 6:59 pm

No probs ill take some pics and give u a run down in the next day or so.
Gym_

Postby Shanus » Friday Dec 18, 2009 9:31 pm

looking foward to seeing ur pics
Shanus

Postby Gym_ » Saturday Dec 19, 2009 12:25 pm

Yer I'm making up a video just keep running out of time to edit it... its that time of year when you have to make a diary entry to your self .. 10:15am 1.6 sec scratch balls. :?
Gym_

Postby Shanus » Saturday Dec 19, 2009 3:08 pm

yeh i understand that i how every one in here has a merry christmas and a very happy new year

cya all next year
Shanus

Return to Kegging