New freezer modded up, pics inside.

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

New freezer modded up, pics inside.

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Nov 04, 2009 6:38 pm

Well Sunday arvo we knocked up the new collar for the chest freezer that replaced my old one that died. Still second time around its a piece of piss though with lessons learnt from the first.

Basically 4 sides of 19mm wood with smaller also 19mm thick batons running along the top and bottom inside to give a better surface area to stick it down and for the fridge seals to sit. The middle then gets plugged with polystyrene to insulate and its easy to cut it and wedge it in nice and tight. Gas line feeds thru from outside and so to the temp probe. The wire basket is perfect to mount the pc fan blowing cold air on the back of the tap shanks and hold my hops, candi sugar and stubbies of yeast sit on the compressor hump. A suction cup bathroom shelf serves as drip tray.. .(holding out for a new stainless one)

Its still going to get some more bling with some decals I have planned to work with the funky red collar . A fourth tap hole is plugged up ready and awaing a fourth tap. I'm pretty happy with end result. Upgrades will include a 5 valve manifold, more kegs (can fit two on the hump and maybe wheels. Going to be a hit this summer I think. At least two Admin have hit the bar since Sunday :D

Currently on tap are
Amarillo golden ale(Dr Smurto's)
Tellerwasser (orange honey wheat beer)
BJ's Dubbel (strong Belgian ale)
:thumbsup:

chadjaja

Re: New freezer modded up, pics inside.

Postby jello » Wednesday Nov 04, 2009 9:33 pm

Looks good. Nice work.
What time can we come over? :D
Jeff.
jello

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Nov 08, 2009 8:09 pm

Looks spot on!

How's the Tellerwasser taste? recipe?
Tipsy

Postby Tipsy » Sunday Nov 08, 2009 8:18 pm

Tipsy wrote:How's the Tellerwasser taste? recipe?

Don't worry, just saw your other post
Tipsy

Postby chadjaja » Sunday Nov 08, 2009 8:21 pm

Tipsy wrote:Looks spot on!

How's the Tellerwasser taste? recipe?

I posted it up this morning in the recipe section. Its a pretty basic but tasty drop :D

We spent the arvo at the Belgian beer garden on StKilda rd and my houseguest had never seen Hoegarden and now he can see how it looks the same as the wheat on offer at home.
chadjaja

Postby Shine » Wednesday Nov 18, 2009 12:36 pm

ummm... can I come live with you? I could make runs to the brew supply store for you and sleep on a small foam mat on the floor right under the taps (where I would collapse every night for the rest of my days... Amen). Okay... I probably didn't sell that very well.

Am I understanding that you used a freezer? I like this idea. I bought a second fridge for my house that I'd like to tap out but 4 kegs looks SO much sexier than two. I'm assuming that you would have to use the lowest temperature setting when you run this. ITs an awesome rig! How much did it cost, all in?
Shine

Postby chadjaja » Wednesday Nov 18, 2009 5:27 pm

You have to join the long list of mates that want to sleep in the man room :lol:

The temp mate on the right side of the freezer runs it at the temps I want it run at. Switches on at 6 degrees and off when it hits 2 degrees. The freezer control itself is set to max. Its a brand spanking new freezer so it holds temp for hours and hours even in the heat and runs for about 15-20 mins when on.

Costs were
$500 freezer
$30 wooden collar
$20 drip tray
$70ea for kegs
$30 for gas T sections
$70 for gas regulator
$80 per tap
$15 in gas and beer lines I'd guess
$50 for tempmate

All up its a fair bit but I built it up bit by bit. And I have botttled a beer this year!
chadjaja

Postby jello » Wednesday Nov 18, 2009 6:01 pm

The only place that I know of that sells the TempMate (new) is CraftBrewer and it's $75. Where did you get yours?
Jeff.
jello

Postby goq11k_76 » Wednesday Nov 18, 2009 9:07 pm

hey whats the fan for over the hops/yeast? just air circulation in the unit or something more scientific?
pilsner is the love of my life...
goq11k_76

Return to Kegging