CO2/Nitrogen mix - my experience

The ins and outs of putting your beer into kegs.

CO2/Nitrogen mix - my experience

Postby goq11k_76 » Monday May 17, 2010 4:14 pm

hey all,

I finally got around to buying my own CO2 tank (gave up renting from supagas), decided to follow the assistants expertise and bought a nitrogen/CO2 mix,
well after 4 days at around 50psi my force carbonation of a 5 malt amber ale fresh wort has very little bubble in the body, yet head is only kinda ok.

do I leave for week at around 40 psi and hope it gets the right body bubble, or take it back and get him to replace with straight CO2.
I dont mind the smaller bubble and its creamy texture, in fact it really suits the 5 malts amber ale, it is truely a boddingtons/kilkenny clone, highly recommend it everyone!

I understand all the theory around the addition of nitrogen, but am not happy with the results, as I do alot of pilsner type beers when given the chance.

Has anybody else had force carbonation hassels with this type of nitrogen/CO2 mix?
Is there another way I can force carbonate my beers cheaping, whilst using the mix to pour? Soda Stream size CO2 bottle to Force carbonate maybe?

cheers all for response in advance.
pilsner is the love of my life...
goq11k_76

Re: CO2/Nitrogen mix - my experience

Postby drsmurto » Monday May 17, 2010 4:18 pm

By force carb do you mean you simply connected the gas up to the keg and dialed up the pressure to 50psi?

If so, it will take a lot more than 4 days to fully carb up.

You need to either be patient and wait the best part of 2 weeks or shake the keg for 45-60 seconds at that pressure.

Personally i would go back and get a bottle of CO2.
drsmurto

Re: CO2/Nitrogen mix - my experience

Postby goq11k_76 » Monday May 17, 2010 4:26 pm

with straight CO2 from the old 10kg bottle in under 2 days it was force carbonated

may try shaking her a bit, cheers
pilsner is the love of my life...
goq11k_76

Return to Kegging