Lagering 101

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Lagering 101

Postby Solar » Thursday Jan 13, 2005 12:42 pm

Hi im about to bottle my first brew, made from the can of copers lager that came with my brew kit. I just followed the instructions it came with.

From what i've read on these forums coopers lager cans come packaged with ale yeast NOT lager yeast.

Was just wondering if i should still lager my beer after i bottle it and if yes then whats a good procedure for lagering?
Solar

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Jan 13, 2005 12:45 pm

It never hurts

Dogger
"Listening to someone who brews their own beer is like listening to a religous fanatic talk about the day he saw the light" Ross Murray, Montreal Gazette
Dogger Dan

Postby thehipone » Thursday Jan 13, 2005 12:48 pm

Lagering might smooth out the flavor a little bit, but since this is your first brew I wouldnt worry about it too much; you'll love it regardless.

After you let it sit someplace moderately warm to carbonate, chuck it in a fridge for a couple of weeks for some cold conditioning, if you can wait that long to drink it :)

If you decide to make a true lager for your next brew, make sure you have somewhere that you can control the temperature in the 5-15 C range and use a true lager yeast, Saflager is a good one and comes with the Cooper's pilsener kit. (Or jump right in and do a triple decoction mash Pilsener Urquell style :o just kidding)

There isnt really a rule, but long times and cold temperatures are pretty much the guidelines.
thehipone

Return to Making beer