A week in

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

A week in

Postby Bubble » Friday Apr 22, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi guys,
I am a week in to my new brew, a coopers pale ale. It as just stopped bubbling yesterday, do i wait another week without taking a reading at all or do i take a reading now regardless. I know i am a pain in the arse but i want this to be right so i know next time, i was lucky with the lager which is going down ace thanks.
Thanks...
BEER IS LIKE A QUIET WOMAN
Bubble

Re: A week in

Postby bullfrog » Friday Apr 22, 2011 9:48 pm

Nowhere near a pain in the arse, mate. We've all been new brewers at some stage!

You can take a reading now if you like, but I like to leave my ales in primary for at least a week-and-a-half before testing. Also, you mention that it has just stopped bubbling. Stop looking at or listening to your airlock. It means nothing at all. Test the brew in a couple of days then test it two days later. If it's the same reading then go ahead and bottle.
bullfrog

Postby Bubble » Friday Apr 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Thanks for that, will do.
God my lager turned out ok, i am so happy (wink) :P
Bubble

Postby barrelboy » Saturday Apr 23, 2011 7:08 am

Morning Bubble, Bullfrog is right so follow his advice. I will say one thing though - although the airlock certainly doesn't matter as a new brewer hearing and seeing bubbles is part of the fun so enjoy whilst you can. I remember sitting in my brew room quitely having a beer, listening to the sound of a couple of fermenters. Sounds romantic or sick, not sure which.
Cheers BB :lol: :shock:
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby Bubble » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Lol yeah...
I will be bottling this brew by the end of next week, if it's readings are ok.
My question is this, how much space between beer and top of bottle (air space) is the correct amount. Only asking as when i bottled my lager i had varying depyhs and some of the bottles had a lot more fizz than others, i have drunk most of them now, and it as just dawned on me that it might be the gap between beer and top of bottle, or am i fishing in the wrong pool again?
Thanks.
Bubble

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 7:48 pm

If you're bottling with a bottling wand then fill the bottle all the way to the top. The headspace left once you've removed the bottler will be all you need.
bullfrog

Postby Bubble » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 10:04 pm

Thanks for that, but i am using my converted barrel from the UK, i will be using the tap thats installed on the barrel to decant into the pet bottles. By what your saying i reckon it will be about a 20mm gap, does that sound about right?
Thanks.

Mental note: remind self to get one of those bottling wands next time i am in the vacinity of my local brew shop :wink:
Bubble

Postby barrelboy » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 10:08 pm

20mm will be fine.
BB
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Apr 24, 2011 10:38 pm

I'd avoid bottling that way, mate. Unless you plan to drink the batch within 2 weeks (which is when you want to be tasting your first one) then get something that will go from the tap to the bottom of the bottle. Oxidisation at that stage is definitely a very bad thing.
bullfrog

Postby Bubble » Monday Apr 25, 2011 12:34 am

Ok thanks for that i will wait until tuesday and go get a bottle wand. I have just taken a reading and it's at 1030, no bubbles and no visible froth on top of brew mix, resealed and will do another reading in morning, still going down to Joondalup to get a bottle wand either way.
Thanks.
Bubble

Postby Planner » Wednesday Apr 27, 2011 11:33 am

Bubble wrote:Mental note: remind self to get one of those bottling wands next time i am in the vacinity of my local brew shop :wink:

Bubble

Bottling wands are available in the Brigalow range of products, these are stocked by Coles (some stores), BiGW, Wollies and some other supermarkets. I can't vouch for the quality, as I've never used the Brigalow version, but it might save a trip to the brew shop.

Don't know your recipe, but 1030 looks too high, unless you started with a high SG. With most kits I'd be expecting 1010 - 1012ish as a FG.

Planner
Nothing interesting to see here, move along.
Planner

Postby emnpaul » Wednesday Apr 27, 2011 3:47 pm

Planner wrote:Don't know your recipe, but 1030 looks too high,
Planner

G'day Bubble,

I agree with Planner, 1030 is very high for a final gravity.

Did you discard the first part of your sample when you took your gravity reading? I make a habit of chucking out the first little bit from the tap, about 1/4 of a cup, as it often contains a fair bit of sediment.

Does your hydrometer read 1000 when tested in water at 20 degrees? Most are calibrateed to 20 degrees. It should say on the paperwork that came with it. Not sure about the new Coopers ones though, if that's what you have.

Cheers
Paul
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby Bubble » Wednesday Apr 27, 2011 6:51 pm

Thanks for replies everyone, but i wrote the wrong numbers down, (i have bits of paper everywhere with numbers all over them?) it actually read 1020 and the reading today is 1018. I have been to Joondalup to get my bits and bobs anyway, i will wait until weekend now do more readings if same i will go for it, thanks again.
Bubble

Return to Making beer