Frothing Beer

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Frothing Beer

Postby llochris » Saturday Nov 26, 2011 5:30 pm

I am having trouble with my beer frothing.I have been making beer for the last 3 years and all of a sudden my beer is frothing when I pour it out,not just a little froth I mean the hole glass is froth, even if I pour it into a 2 litre jug it does the same. :?
Please someone help :(
llochris

Frothing Beer

Postby bullfrog » Saturday Nov 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Is it just one batch that's doing this or has it appeared across multiple batches?

Do you bottle or keg?

If bottling, how did you prime the bottles and at what point did you bottle the batch?

What's the recipe that you've used that has had this frothing problem?

Sorry to answer your question with a bucket-load more but it'll be easier to pinpoint the issue with more info.
bullfrog

Re: Frothing Beer

Postby llochris » Sunday Nov 27, 2011 12:37 pm

I bottle the beer after I have taken two readings and it says to bottle.It has only started frothing in the last 4 brews.I steralise the bottles in warm water with sterophos in it wash the keg with sterophos.When making beer I use beer clearing agent which I have used for three years.The temp of beer before bottling is 22,and I bottle about 7 days after putting beer down.I hope this answers all the questions you have asked bullfrog.
llochris

Frothing Beer

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Nov 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Having it across 4 brews would suggest sanitation is where you want to start looking. Before your next batch, hit all of your gear (including but not limited to your bottles and your fermenter) with something really potent like a bleach solution or sodium met. Make sure it all gets a thorough rinsing before its next use.
bullfrog

Postby hirns » Sunday Nov 27, 2011 4:00 pm

Gushers as Bullfrog are usually a sign of infection. Where do you live? In cooler climates 7 days may not be enough and the yeast may stop working. The same will happen if it gets too hot. You will get 2 days of stable readings but the beer may not have fully fermented. Extra fermentation in the bottle will then lead to overcarbonation and bottle bombs. I leave all of my beers a minimum of two weeks but usually three.
hirns

Postby warra48 » Sunday Nov 27, 2011 5:13 pm

I used to get quite a few gushers in my early days. Not any more.

As mentioned, they frequently are a result of an infection of sorts in the bottles.
Other causes are incomplete fermentation in primary (or even secondary if you rack).

Solutions include:
1. Ensure your bottles are spotlessly clean, and be particular also around the crown cap area. Then use a good no rinse sanitiser, such as Iodophor or StarSan.
2. Leave your batches at least 2 weeks in primary. Temperature control to ensure stable temperatures also helps your yeast along.
3. Stable readings 2 to 3 days apart, which are a good indication of completion of fermentation, PROVIDED you are within your expected final gravity range.
warra48

Frothing Beer

Postby bullfrog » Monday Nov 28, 2011 9:39 am

Another cause of gushers that another forum member noted was specs of solid matter that hadn't quite been completely washed out (dirt, or the like.) Presumably causing extra nucleation points in the liquid that rapidly knocks CO2 out of suspension. Might be an idea to get in to your bottles with a bottle brush.
bullfrog

Postby AidanMatthews » Tuesday Nov 29, 2011 3:37 pm

I found 1 of my beers did this "gushing" due to infection but it tasted acidic as a result which confirmed it.

Another one of my beers just had a HUGE head that filled the glass, once selted out it tasted great, so overcarb issue.

Overcarb was due to unfinished fermentation, as the FG was 1017 but i bottled it anyway because it stayed the same for a week.

When you took your final Gravity reading you said you bottle when same reading read twice over X days.

What was the final reading?

I have had the exact same results with really fizzy beer when i failed to get the beer below 1016 - 1018+
To fix that i pitched bigger starters and for lagers used yeast nutrient aswell.

I also find my beer fizzes out quickly if it hasnt been chilled for atleast 24hrs, or if i quick chill it in the freezer, i believe this is because CO2 escapes warmer liquid much faster than very cold, even the difference between 6*C and 2*C is noticeable
All Grain - Still learning with Every Batch.
AidanMatthews

Postby melykabeer » Friday Dec 02, 2011 9:47 pm

Is it just me that smells a troll?
melykabeer

Return to Making beer