1st brew for awhile, have I stuffed it ?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

1st brew for awhile, have I stuffed it ?

Postby slayer71 » Sunday Dec 18, 2011 7:42 pm

Hi all this is my 1st brew for about 8 mnths dont know hy been busy, anyway I thought I would start of with a nice easy K&K Wheat beer.

Ingredients,
Morgans Golden Sheaf Wheat Kit
Coopers Wheat Malt tin
WB-06 Yeast

Anyway no dramas but I found some Roast Barley Malt grain I had stored away anyways, I decided to steep some for about 10-15 mins then added the liquid to my brew, it actually smelt and tasted not to bad, kinda coffee.

What do you think the results of this would be, I thought I may have been creating a Dark Wheat any thoughts ?

Its seems to bubbling away ok, sitting at around 20c.

Thanks.
slayer71

Re: 1st brew for awhile, have I stuffed it ?

Postby chadjaja » Monday Dec 19, 2011 7:22 am

If you boiled the liquid from the grain after steeping 'no you didn't do anything wrong'

If you just added the grain liquid without boiling it for 15 mins first 'yes you may cause an infection'

Nothing wrong with having a play with flavours and seeing where it gets you. You may end up with up an awesome dunkelweizen.. 8)
chadjaja

Postby Oliver » Monday Dec 19, 2011 8:15 am

+1 to all that. Good on you for trying something different.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby slayer71 » Monday Dec 19, 2011 9:46 am

Thanks phew, yep I boiled it in some cloth and let the it steep, then added the liquid minus the cloth and grains to the brew.
Thats what I'm hoping for a nice dunkelweizen maybe just wasn't sure if this grain was or will be totally out of character for this type of beer and maybe wreck it.

Fingers crossed.
slayer71

Postby Oliver » Monday Dec 19, 2011 9:55 am

Hi Slayer,

Ideally you'd steep the grain in water about 70C for 20 minutes or so. Boiling it can draw bitter tannins out of the grain.

You haven't stuffed the brew but it may not be the same as if you'd not boiled the grain.

But you live and learn ;-)

I think you'll end up with a pretty drinkable beer, and in the style of a dunkelweizen.

... Unless you went overboard on the grain. How much did you add?

In terms of "wrecking" the beer because the dark grain is out of style, even if it were it's always good to experiment. Brewing was a pretty staid and unchanging affair for decades until US brewers started to mix things up with some big and different beers. I don't want to think about life without US pale ales and other beers such as Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Brew Dog Punk IPA (admittedly a Scottish beer, but very much to the US style).

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby slayer71 » Monday Dec 19, 2011 2:40 pm

Cheers Oliver, actually thinking about it I probably didn't boil it, maybe just sitting on a high heat for around 15mins, and it was around a handful of grains, I agree it's fun experimenting but it's also abit nerve wracking worrying about the brew, I'll let you know it tastes.

Thanks.
slayer71

Return to Making beer