When to add fresh herbs.

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

When to add fresh herbs.

Postby Jaxn » Friday Dec 23, 2011 10:04 am

Hi, quite the useful forum you guys have here. I've got a few brews under my belt now and am looking to get a little creative, Ive been kit brewing and was wondering when in the process would I add fresh herbs?

Weve got a large selection growing here and I want to try some pineapple sage in a lighter ale I'm about to make.

Would it be best to boil to pineapple sage then strain and add at the beginning of fermentation or make up some 'tea bags' and put them in after a couple days?
Jaxn

Re: When to add fresh herbs.

Postby barrelboy » Friday Dec 23, 2011 1:59 pm

Hi Jaxn, your right it is a great forum and hope you enjoy. I do a chilli beer and chop the chillies up, bring to boil and simmer about 20 minutes. I strain it through fine sieve into the fermenter, stir just before adding the yeast. Works well for me so I'd give it a go.
Cheers BB :D
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Postby Oliver » Saturday Dec 24, 2011 9:30 am

Hi and welcome, Jaxn,

I think it probably depends what you're trying to achieve. With something like chilli it doesn't matter if you boil them because what you're extracting from the chilli is not affected by boiling.

On the other hand, if you're wanting to get flavour and aroma from something like pineapple sage where you are extracting the essential oils, then I'd add it right at the end of the boil. You could probably even add it when you turn off the heat and let is steep for, say, 10 or 20 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Tipsy » Saturday Dec 24, 2011 6:23 pm

I'd try a little in a glass of beer to see if you like it. I've ruined 20lts of beer before by doing this sort of thing.

I still drank it though ;)
Tipsy

Postby Jaxn » Saturday Dec 24, 2011 9:17 pm

Thanks for all the help. I think i'll go with adding it at the end of the boil then letting it steep.

Ive also had a few taste tests with just the leaves, as well as leaves and flowers added to a beer to figure out the flavour and amounts.
Jaxn

Return to Making beer