exploding bottles thought i was safe

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

exploding bottles thought i was safe

Postby rahne » Friday Dec 30, 2011 4:48 am

did a brew a few months back which i left for 2 1/2 weeks at 22c and then bottled using carbonation drops left it in the shed (forgot) for 2 month with a number of hot weeks final thought i'll moved them into my room for safe keeping a week later had 2 bottles blow on me. It has left me stumped as the carbonation had stopped for a week before i bottled
"What you put flowers in your beer" " Yep, the more flowers the better"
rahne

Re: exploding bottles thought i was safe

Postby chadjaja » Friday Dec 30, 2011 7:19 am

dirty bottles in those two causing infection that blew them maybe? In the past I've had the odd bottle slip by with some crud in it causing infection. Even a double carb dose, it does happen sometimes......
chadjaja

Postby Oliver » Friday Dec 30, 2011 10:42 am

How's the carbonation on the others? Further to chadjaja's comment, you weren't under the influence when you bottled and double primed, were you ;-)

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby emnpaul » Friday Dec 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Could be a defective bottle maybe? I've only ever had the one bvottle bomb and it was in a batch where all the other bottles were OK carb wise. It was in a Tooheys screw top bottle and I've noticed when you hold them up to them up to the light some have small bubbles in the glass. Or like Chad and Oliver have suggested possibly bdouble carbed?

Also worth mentioning it was on a very hot day and out in the garage which can get to 45 on a good day. Maybe expansion caused by the heat was the tipping point for an over carbed bottle?
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby rahne » Friday Dec 30, 2011 8:37 pm

i'm now thinking i mus of broke the seal on the fermenter as i have had quite a few blow up on me now. what get me though is the amount of time it's taken for them to blow. I had the odd batch blow on from not being careful which is why i now no 2 to 2.5 weeks in the fermenter. but the ones that do blow usually weren't in the bottle this long
"What you put flowers in your beer" " Yep, the more flowers the better"
rahne

Postby Oliver » Friday Dec 30, 2011 11:31 pm

It does seem quite strange. I assume you didn't take any SG readings? Although 2.5 weeks at 22C would seem to rule out the beer still fermenting when you bottled.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Bum » Saturday Dec 31, 2011 8:21 am

Extra time won't really do anything for a stalled fermentation. If it has stalled it is not at FG - doesn't matter how long you leave it. The act of bottling and priming will cause your yeast to become active again.
Bum

Return to Making beer