Airlock not bubbling

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Airlock not bubbling

Postby Marty » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 4:35 pm

Hi guys,

After a 6 year break I am back into homebrewing. I have two brews in fermenters at the moment although the airlock on the 2nd fermenter is not bubbling. There is significant condensation on the inside of the lid and I can see a large amount of foam so I know that fermentation is happening, however, there is no bubbling form the airlock. Does this mean I do not have an airtight seal and am possibly risking infection? The airlock and grommet were sitting in the fermenter in my garage for the last 6 years so I am thinking the grommet may have become unusable?

On a side note this I am glad to see this forum is still alive and being actively used. I used to go on here all the time and loved the help and advice from members. Reading through some older posts it appears the biggest thing I missed in the past 6 years was the "wisdom" from Speedie! :D

Thanks in advance

Marty
Marty

Re: Airlock not bubbling

Postby Guru » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 4:45 pm

Other are probably more qualified than me to answer this one Marty but I have had brews that never seemed to get the airlock bubbling but they still fermented out nicely. I just put it down to me not screwing the lid on properly. Never had problems with infection.
Guru

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 4:47 pm

Hi Marty.

Welcome back. Good to see you getting into the game again. No comment on speedie :-)

I wouldn't worry too much about the air leak from your fermenter. There's next to no chance of infection.

In fact, you may have read some posts about people dispensing with the lid and air lock altogether and just covering the opening with plastic food wrap (i.e. Glad Wrap) and securing it with the rubber seal from the lid. No need to put pin pricks in it; the air finds its way out.

I now do this and it works a treat. A couple of good things are that you don't need to worry about the seal and you can see what's going on inside easily.

I'd leave it as it is for the moment and give the cling wrap a go for your next brew if you're keen.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Bum » Wednesday Jan 11, 2012 7:12 pm

Marty wrote:Does this mean I do not have an airtight seal and am possibly risking infection?

There's still positive pressure from the brew while it is fermenting (and for some time after) so there's no more real chance of infection than if the bubbler was bubbling. Regardless, the hole you've got is probably so small that it would be unlikely to present any real issue anyway.

I'd replace that grommet and maybe even the lid o-ring if you're not too keen on the gladwrap method mentioned above.
Bum

Postby earle » Thursday Jan 12, 2012 8:28 am

Cling wrap, cling wrap, cling wrap. Seeing whats happening is much more interesting than the maybe blup blup of an air lock.
earle

Postby warra48 » Thursday Jan 12, 2012 1:51 pm

What's an airlock?

Go the clingwrap. Two lengths at right angles to each other covers the fermenter nicely, and secure it with the rubber seal from inside the lid of the fermenter.

As earle said, it's nice to see what's happening.
warra48

Postby rotten » Thursday Jan 12, 2012 10:00 pm

Why do I want to turn this threads name into a question instead of a statement :?:

Go the clingwrap, gladwrap approach. It really does make it easy to see what's happening and give you one less thing to worry about, like "why is my airlock not bubbling?"

There, I said it.
Cheers :D
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby earle » Friday Jan 13, 2012 8:34 am

I got a roll of caterer's cling wrap from the local hospitality supply shop. Wider than normal so you only need one piece. Could be thicker too??
earle

Airlock not bubbling

Postby bullfrog » Friday Jan 13, 2012 5:48 pm

I have to say, it's been a good while since I've seen a "Halp! My airlock is broken" thread. Takes me right back to when I started brewing!

I'm another cling wrapper. Threw my airlocks and fermenter lids out years ago. I couldn't care less that I can see my brews better (they're in the brew fridge, anyway, and it doesn't get opened until at least 14 days into the brew,) it's just nice to have fewer things to mess about with cleaning and sanitising.
bullfrog

Postby Marty » Friday Jan 13, 2012 9:46 pm

I think I am convinced. Next brew (tomorrow will be brewing a Fat Yak clone) will be "cling wrapped"!

Thanks for all the great advice everyone.
Marty

Return to Making beer