help newbie

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

help newbie

Postby alanl » Saturday Feb 04, 2012 9:23 am

hi all was going to bottle coopers stout today no bubbles for 3 days cold cond. in fridge for 4 days sg 1040 but figured idd do fg for notes and final fg of 1020 seems too high for me .tastes little fissy, does this mean it not fermented out or stout like that?should i bottle anyway or warm and see what happens next ...need help fast ...thakns all
alanl

Re: help newbie

Postby Bum » Saturday Feb 04, 2012 9:42 am

alanl wrote:warm and see what happens next

This is what I'd be doing - plus giving the brew a gentle stir to rouse some yeast into action. I am assuming your recipe is as per kit instructions - my actions might change if the recipe contained a large percentage of unfermentable ingredients.

You've probably worked this out already but be sure you've reached FG before you put a brew into CC next time.
Bum

Postby alanl » Saturday Feb 04, 2012 11:14 am

thanks bum ill try that...my prob..4 brew expert lol
alanl

Postby barrelboy » Sunday Feb 05, 2012 8:41 am

Hi Alani, Bum's right. Give fermenter a bit of a swirl to get yeast going again. FG for the stout should be 1010 to 1012 with same reading over 2 days. I ferment my brews no less than 14 days at 20 to 22 degrees summer, 18 to 20 winter. I don't cc but that's up to you and should be after fermentation is complete. Hope it helps.
Cheers BB :D
A barrel a day keeps the doctor away. Drink more piss.
barrelboy

Return to Making beer