High gravity beer from hopped malt extract

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

High gravity beer from hopped malt extract

Postby mrnice4884 » Saturday Feb 04, 2012 11:57 am

I had a question concerning making a high gravity beer. I'm planning on brewing a high gravity wheat beer and I am using Coopers 1.7kg hopped wheat malt extract. Apparently it's labelled at 200 IBU. I've previously read the posts about Coopers extracts and how the IBU # is the amount over 22-23 litres of beer. My question concerns using that hopped extract for approximately a 2-2.1 gallons batch (roughly 8 litres). I plan to do this to up the alcohol % to about 7-7.5%. I'm figuring that the IBU will be through the roof if I do so. I've estimated 38 IBU for the batch; is this approximately correct?

also, what could I do to counteract the bitterness? Would adding a ton of sugar help? I figured I'll try buying unhopped extract next time but bought this one because I didn't have unhopped wheat extract available to me from where I live.
mrnice4884

Re: High gravity beer from hopped malt extract

Postby Bum » Saturday Feb 04, 2012 12:14 pm

Given the formula of: predicted IBU = stated IBU * 1.7 / batch volume

Your IBU would be more like 42.5 IBU for an 8L batch.

You could offset this by adding some spec grain - this will raise your FG, leaving some sweetness to balance the bitterness. I wouldn't use sugar as you've suggested as it will ferment out completely. IMO, the alc (flavour) will be a bit too hard to control as it is.

Alternatively you could dilute the tin a bit more to get the bitterness down and add LDME to compensate to your desired alc level.
Bum

Re: High gravity beer from hopped malt extract

Postby mrnice4884 » Saturday Feb 04, 2012 12:47 pm

Thanks man!
mrnice4884