Low FG....have I stuffed it?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby Mike20082 » Sunday Feb 05, 2012 8:34 pm

Hi everyone. So this is my first post and I'm hoping u can help. I've put my second ever brew down (it's just the coopers Lager that came with the HB kit. I haven't really done to much temperature control with this brew and after 8 days, the FG seems very low........about 995.
It smells like a good beer and tastes quite good at this stage. There is no foam on top now and the temp has fluctuated between 18 - 24 due the heat here in Canberra....it's been all over the place!

Have I screwed the pooch with this brew? I'm going to bottle during the week, but Wes wondering on everyone's thoughts about the low FG reading.

Cheers
Mike
Mike20082

Re: Low FG....have I stuffed it?

Postby Bum » Sunday Feb 05, 2012 8:50 pm

Welcome to the board, Mike!

Before you panic - have you calibrated your hydrometer? This involves testing it in plain water at a given temperature. This temperature is most commonly 15C or 20C - it should say somewhere on the hydrometer (or a piece of paper that came with it). If it reads 1000 then your hydrometer is accurate. If not, it isn't the end of the world, you can just adjust future readings accordingly.

Also, the temperature of the sample will effect the reading. The sample temp should be the same as the calibration temp to use the reading directly. Otherwise, there are charts you can find online (and should have been supplied with the hydrometer) to adjust your reading for other temperatures. It does seem unlikely that temp difference will allow for such a discrepancy.

If your hydrometer is reading correctly and the reading is not better after adjusting for temp then you could be looking at an infection. A dry enzyme could get a brew down this low but since that doesn't come standard with that kit I'm going to assume you didn't use one.

As I say, it isn't time to panic just yet. Check your hydrometer then recheck the brew. Absolute worst case scenario is that you've got some beer that tastes good and you need to drink it quickly before that changes. Drinking good beer in a hurry? I've had worse problems.

[EDIT: 'plane water'? wtf?!]
Last edited by Bum on Tuesday Feb 07, 2012 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bum

Postby Mike20082 » Tuesday Feb 07, 2012 8:51 pm

Hi mate. Thanks for your suggestion. I checked out the hydrometer today and using water it was 990 and with my brew it was 998,so I guess it's about right.
During the first 4 days it had a good foam going and was coming along nicely. I bottled today and have my fingers and toes crossed that it will turn out ok.

I will put down a Coopers Pale Ale with enhancer 2 on the weekend and keep a closer eye on its temperature.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike
Mike20082

Return to Making beer