Coopers Lager and Light LME

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Coopers Lager and Light LME

Postby aspenjim » Sunday Mar 11, 2012 10:09 am

I made this today and wondered what it would taste like. I enjoyed the original Lager kit with BE1 and thought I would try it this way. It is 22C and I plan on using a second sachet of coopers yeast in 3 days. I've been using 2 per batch of 25 liters. BTW I made this batch 25 liters. I searched google and didn't find many doing this combination. This is my 8th batch and I've like everyone except the Sparkling Ale and Real ale with LME substituted for BE1 is my favorite. I love these Coopers microbrew kits as I have 2 now and an extra set of bottles (84 total) :D

Does anyone ever stir the fermenting brew at any point after pitching yeast and before bottling ?

Jim
aspenjim

Re: Coopers Lager and Light LME

Postby Oliver » Monday Mar 12, 2012 12:21 pm

Hi Jim,

Welcome. See below for some answers.

Cheers,

Oliver

aspenjim wrote:I made this today and wondered what it would taste like ... I made this batch 25 liters.

It will be fine. You will find that the body will be a bit thinner than if you had only topped it up to 23 litres. The alcohol content will also be slightly lower and the flavour is "stretched" over more bottles so may not be as flavoursome.

aspenjim wrote:It is 22C and I plan on using a second sachet of coopers yeast in 3 days.

Despite what the instructions say, keep it as close to 18C as you can (the "Lager" comes with an ale yeast, so won't ferment as low temperatures as would a true lager yeast). This will reduce the fruity notes and make the beer more crisp. There's nothing wrong with adding two sachets of yeast, but should add them at the same time, at the start of fermentation. Adding the second sachet later will have negligible effect and is really a bit of a waste of time and yeast. When yeast is pitched to the wort it needs oxygen to multiply, and then starts its anaerobic phase where it works its magic turning sugar into alcohol. Adding another yeast when the fermentation is in full swing really isn't going to do much, although there are times where you may pitch another yeast later in fermentation, particularly for high-gravity beers.

Besides, you need to open the fermenter to add the second yeast and keeping the fermenter closed is advisable, to avoid the risk of airborne infection.

aspenjim wrote:Does anyone ever stir the fermenting brew at any point after pitching yeast and before bottling ?

No. There should be no need, unless you have a stuck fermentation in which case you can rouse the yeast. But I doubt this will be a problem with the beers that you're making. Leave it alone between the time you pitch the yeast and when you bottle, except if you are racking.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby aspenjim » Tuesday Mar 13, 2012 12:04 am

So I made maybe a better flavored Lawnmower Lager ???
aspenjim

Postby Marty » Tuesday Mar 13, 2012 5:29 pm

I'm not sure about the lawnmower lager but it sounds like you have made your best and favourite beer (to date). One of the best things about homebrewing is that, besides keeping everything sanitary, there are no rules. I'd suggest reading one of the stickies on this forum titled Simple things to make your HB better (or click this link) http://homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1966

Once you master the basics you open up limitless options and will find that you are constantly tweaking your recipes. This forum is a great place to get started and the Recipes page contains some brilliant ideas from kit recipes through to All Grain Brewing.
Marty

Return to Making beer