Wyeast 2278 - Started and stopped?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby BadSeed » Sunday Apr 15, 2012 10:52 am

I put down an all extract pilsner yesterday.
For the first time ever I used a Wyeast smack pack (2278 Czech Pils). So I gave it a slap early in the morning and left it at room temperature.
I started my brew a bout 4 hours later and the pack was inflated to the point of bursting. :D

So I pitched at 20 degrees and put it in the fridge set to 10 degrees.
I thought if the pack was inflated the yeast had started working on the nutrient and was "activated" pitching at a higher temp and lowering slowly to the brewing temp seemed like the way forward. The already active yeast would simply start to work on the wort. :?:

So after 24 hours there is not much happening, condensation on the lid yes, bit no airlock activity or any sign of krausen.

Can I do any damage (flavourwise) if I raise the temp to about 18 in order to get the yeast going again. Or should I just leave it alone.

I usually use Saf yeast and pitch at about 18 lowering to 11. Never had a problem before.
BadSeed

Postby bullfrog » Sunday Apr 15, 2012 12:04 pm

Don't raise your temps. You say there's condensation which means there's fermentation.

It gets said a lot, but listening for airlock activity is the least reliable way to gauge fermentation activity.

Also, I wouldn't be expecting too much krausen off a bottom-fermenting Czech pils yeast.

TL;DR RDWHAHB, your yeasties are doing what they're supposed to.
bullfrog

Re: Wyeast 2278 - Started and stopped?

Postby drsmurto » Sunday Apr 15, 2012 2:56 pm

Leave it, lager yeasts are slow.

What was the manufacture date? It's written on the pack.

Direct pitching a lager yeast is risky, even at 20°C. I would always make a starter.
drsmurto

Postby BadSeed » Sunday Apr 15, 2012 4:44 pm

Thanks for the replies...

I know lager yeasts are slow to start but I thought once it had started (puffed up pack) and was pitched at a suitable temperature with plenty to eat it would just keep going.
As I said, been using Saflager yeasts for years this is the first time with a liquid.

I have always had good airlock activity and decent surface activity, even with bottom fermenting yeasts.
Manufacturing date was this month...

It wamed to 12 degrees in 4 hours so I stopped it there on the fridgemate, as soon as I see more convincing signs of fermentation I will turn it back down to 10.
BadSeed

Postby BadSeed » Sunday Apr 15, 2012 5:07 pm

Ok, have just seen it bubble so turned fridgemate back to 10.

Please delete this thread and ban me from the site. :D
HAND
BadSeed

Return to Making beer