Air Lock??

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Air Lock??

Postby BrewersApprentice » Tuesday Jun 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Hey all i was just wondering if its possible to have the airlock and it not bubble?
it only started bubbling (from what i heard) after i knocked the fermenter im assuming this had something to do with it as i spent abit of time in my shed with it :?
*BEER* Now Cheaper Than Fuel!!!!!
BrewersApprentice

Re: Air Lock??

Postby Bum » Tuesday Jun 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Yep totally possible. The common cause of concern for new brewers.

The airlock bubbling or not bubbling doesn't always mean anything in and of itself - it is just there to let gasses out and not let anything else in, sometimes the gasses find another way out. If you've got the foamy stuff on top (called krausen) then your wort is turning into beer. Some yeasts don't throw much which might worry you. The best way to tell for sure if your brew is fermenting or not is to take a hydrometer reading.
Bum

Postby BrewersApprentice » Tuesday Jun 12, 2012 8:07 pm

The sg is still dropping but its my first brew in this fermenter and was a lil worried lol
*BEER* Now Cheaper Than Fuel!!!!!
BrewersApprentice

Postby Bum » Tuesday Jun 12, 2012 8:21 pm

Totally understandable - we've all been there! If you know the SG is dropping there's no reason to worry about the airlock. As long as it is stopping stuff getting into your fermenter then it is doing its job.
Bum

Postby warra48 » Thursday Jun 14, 2012 6:13 pm

Haven't used an airlock for years.

I use a couple of layers of clingwrap, held in place with the rubber seal from the lid.

The cO2 will find its way out. Leave your brew for at least two to three weeks in primary, then take a hydro sample. Mine are always done by that stage.
warra48

Return to Making beer