Boags Wizard Ale

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Boags Wizard Ale

Postby ashy » Monday Jun 25, 2012 5:30 pm

After a recent holiday to Tasmania I located a very nice beer in the Boags Wizard Smith Ale

Has anyone got a recipe or ideas to make something close to this. It has been described as an english ale in reviews
ashy

Re: Boags Wizard Ale

Postby hyjak » Monday Jun 25, 2012 6:46 pm

How recent was your trip, as it has been toned down a bit in recent months.
Used to really give you a big hop bitterness and aroma on pouring then backed it up with a decent malt backbone, now its a bit insipid, was one of my favourite commercial brews until they messed with it.

Sorry but have not tried to clone it, yet.
hyjak

Postby ashy » Monday Jun 25, 2012 8:37 pm

Hi there
mid april this year. Tried most of the local beers but thought this one was quite different and easy to drink - most beers are like that anyway. I haven't been able to find it over here in SA yet but will look around. On a review they said it was a limited edition. Is that the case or are they making them full time now

Ashy
ashy

Postby hyjak » Monday Jun 25, 2012 9:03 pm

It was a full time beer but I did see some crap about it being re-released so maybe they made it a seasonal release or something when they messed with the recipe.
hyjak

Return to Making beer