Home Brew Noob

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Home Brew Noob

Postby Troy Destroy » Sunday Jul 01, 2012 8:23 pm

Hi all, this is my first post here after reading for quite a while.

I'm full of ideas but want to try and keep things simple to start with.

Have been putting some bits and pieces together, have myself a fermenter, bottle tree, bench capper, 30 tallies plus a stack of PET bottles (not so keen on the PET idea but my cousin threw them in with the fermenter).

Couple of questions, should I worry about a second fermenter/cube for second racking etc?

Also, as it's winter, am looking to start with a lager kit, was thinking Wal's or Morgan's, but should I play it straight for my first brew or attempt to add some extra hops?

Again, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Troy Destroy

Re: Home Brew Noob

Postby melykabeer » Sunday Jul 01, 2012 9:42 pm

Hi Troy

Welcome to the forum!

First of all I would not worry about getting a second fermenter to rack onto especially when starting out. I would however get a second one to increase your production of home brew :P. I leave my brews for at least 2 weeks in the fermenter before bottling and end up with reasonably clear beer. Its not worth the work and risking infection/oxidisation racking your first brews IMO.

I also suggest just keeping your first brew very simple. If your doing a real larger you definitely need temperature control, they take longer to ferment than an Ale plus largering stage will take some time before its ready. I would stick to something simple use a coopers can, some light dry malt extract, possibly some hops and just use the kit yeast.

Read the stickies in the Making Beer section some very good info written in there.

Enjoy
melykabeer

Postby Troy Destroy » Monday Jul 02, 2012 4:16 pm

Cheers for the advice, will let you know how I go once I get everything together.
Troy Destroy

Postby Damn » Wednesday Jul 18, 2012 12:05 pm

I agree with MLAB.

I'm about 4 weeks ahead of you in my apprenticeship. I started my 2nd brew, a lager, without realising they is more involved than an Ale.
I'm not by all means discouraging you, I just suggest you have clear plan from Brew to Bottle of timing, temp control, resting & lagering. I'm not trying to be an expert here just highlighting that I didn't have the clearest plan before I started my lager and yelled for help here before I crashed my lager ship. See my recent post asking for help.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10881
Guys on this forum have a been a great help.

I found making an ale easier. Adding hops was an easy addition too if the recipe calls for it.

Good Luck.

(P.S. I did get a 2nd fermenter only to start another brew.)
Damn

Postby Troy Destroy » Tuesday Jul 31, 2012 11:53 pm

Hey Damn, thanks for the heads up!

My project has stalled with some unexpected bills popping up (had my car broken into, good times)

Slowly getting back to piecing my kit together, hope to have about 90 crown seal tallies soon (planning ahead), and might have a second fermenter coming soon too.

RE the lager, I'm thinking I might hold off on the winter weather brewing and wait until things start to warm up a bit so I can look into a Pale Ale instead.

Let me know how you get on, I'll post again when I've started my adventure.
Troy Destroy

Postby jello » Thursday Aug 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Some good posts. But, I wouldn't recommend the kit yeast. Even to a new brewer.
Spend the couple of bucks to get a US-05. You'll notice the difference. If you really want to put the kit yeast to good use, boil it up and add it to your brew as yeast nutrient.

Happy brewing.
Jeff.
jello

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Aug 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Oops. Double post.
Last edited by emnpaul on Thursday Aug 02, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Aug 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Jello? Campbelltown? :shock:

Long time no see. How are you?

Oh yeah, don't use the kit yeast, like Jello said. I have it on good authority that Wal's use Mauri yeast, that's intended for spirit making. You can do a lot better for beer. Morgan's might not be too bad but I'd try to pitch a second sachet if you can get your hands on one. To rehydrate it before pitching wouldn't be a bad idea either.
emnpaul

Postby jello » Monday Aug 06, 2012 7:07 pm

Yeah mate. Campbelltown.

It's been a tough year to say the least.
Jeff.
jello

Postby Troy Destroy » Friday Nov 23, 2012 1:22 pm

Well, I finally got my brew on yesterday.

Used a Cooper's Australian Pale Ale kit.

Fiddled with things (I have read WAY too much and for some reason just couldn't follow the straight instructions.) Used a Saflager S-04 sachet which I activated with a teaspoon of the kilo of Brew Enhancer from Brewer's Choice.

I put the Brew Enhancer in a pot with about 6 litres of water then put half the can in, popped that in the fermenter with the rest of the can and filled up. Freaked out as yeast was going mental so popped that in but afterwards realised too hot! Was sitting at about 36!

Popped a wet towel and ice packs on and this morning was at 26. Popped another ice block (frozen chinese food container size) on the towel and hoping it brings it down to hopefully around 24.

Air Lock starting bubbling regularly at around 2 - 3 hours, so hopefully this is a good sign.

Just a bit concerned about the initial temp and hope it hasn't created an off "homebrew" flavour...
Troy Destroy

Postby Mad Dog » Friday Nov 23, 2012 1:33 pm

I think it will be beer. If your sanitation is tight, it ought to be drinkable
Mad Dog

Postby Troy Destroy » Friday Nov 23, 2012 2:43 pm

Fingers crossed eh?
Troy Destroy

Postby Troy Destroy » Tuesday Dec 04, 2012 8:30 am

Just an update, have been successfully keeping temp between 24 - 26 degrees with the ice & wet towel method. The initial banana smell had changed into a delightful beery smell.

Until last night that is. Got home much later than anticipated and found that it was sitting between 26 - 28. Put ice I straight away and again when woke up this morning. Back down to 24 - 26 now but the banana smell has returned. Is this a sign that I've got "fruit punch" instead of beer?

How do others in Queensland keep their brews cool on a budget?

On another point, it will be a fortnight since I put the brew down this Thursday, yet the airlock is still consistently bubbling. Should I do a gravity reading Thursday and another on Sunday to see if finished fermenting?

Also, after bottling, is there an ideal temperature to store them at for conditioning? At this stage I really only have my shed to store them in. Should I at least invest in a decent cupboard/shelving system to store them rather than just in milk crates?
Troy Destroy

Postby Mad Dog » Tuesday Dec 04, 2012 9:55 am

I'm too new to know, but it sounds like a hot ferment and maybe creating too much phenol giving the banana smell.
Mad Dog

Postby Mad Dog » Tuesday Dec 04, 2012 9:57 am

I would consider a small room for fermenting and a small air conditioner with a thermostat that you cab set at about 68 f.
Mad Dog

Postby Troy Destroy » Thursday Dec 06, 2012 12:27 pm

Almost at bottling stage (been 2 weeks today) Only place aid have to store my bottles is my well shaded tin shed. Any tips to keep them at the right temp this Queensland summer?
Troy Destroy

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Dec 06, 2012 7:31 pm

I'd seriously be scouring the earth for a better spot. It's not just the high temperature (low is better) that will stuff your beer but the large daily variance will do it in double quick time. Barring direct sunlight, tin shed and roof cavity are about the two worst locations I can think of.
emnpaul

Postby Troy Destroy » Thursday Dec 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Have thought about an old fridge, the insulation in it, even if not turned on, would help with keeping temps consistent, wouldn't it?
Troy Destroy

Postby Mad Dog » Friday Dec 07, 2012 2:02 am

Probably the only way you will maintain temp without ac of some sort would be placing it underground like a cave or root cellar.
Mad Dog

Postby rotten » Friday Dec 07, 2012 6:36 am

Troy Destroy wrote:Have thought about an old fridge, the insulation in it, even if not turned on, would help with keeping temps consistent, wouldn't it?

An old fridge will do the job nicely. Try dropping the temp to 18-20c for your next brew, that may help a lot as well.
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Next

Return to Making beer