3rd Brew on the boil another APA, thoughts please.

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

3rd Brew on the boil another APA, thoughts please.

Postby Damn » Saturday Jul 07, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks all for your inspiration.

Just letting my my 3rd Extract Brew cool. It was an attempt at a SNPA clone recipe that I got from here. I changed the recipe some, my local HBS guy changed it some more that it looks nothing like the clone on Paper. So here it is, I'm not sure it will get close to the SNPA but if its a hoppy Pale Ale I'm happy.

3kg ESB American Pale Ale (Coopers LME was on the recipe but it cost more and didn't have the right yeast)
.5kg LDME
150g Crystal Malt (114-145)
25g Cascade hops.
Safale US-05

Steep Crystal malt in 4L water for 20min & remove. Mix Pale Ale, LDME boil for 20min. Add 1/2 cascade 2min remaining in Boil. Add 1/2 cascade @ flameout. Allow to cool for 20mins. Put in fermenter add cool water to 21L. Add yeast below 25c.

Any criticism or feedback welcome.
Damn

Re: 3rd Brew on the boil another APA, thoughts please.

Postby Bum » Sunday Jul 08, 2012 12:52 am

Assuming the base kit is SNPA-ish then you'll definitely have a SNPA-ish beer on your hands. Well, you probably will even if the kit isn't a SNPA copy unless the kit is really heavy on a non-cirtus type hop like amarillo or something (would still be a nice beer though). A bit light on for late hops to really nail it but it will be a good'un for sure (assuming good fermentaion/sanitation/etc). If you've got some more cascade on hand then bung it in the fermenter (min 1g/L) once the krausen dies down then follow your usual procedure. Sounds like a good one.

One piece of advice though - next time you're not 100% behind a recipe ask before you brew. Doesn't look like it'll be an issue here but better to be safe than sorry.
Bum

Postby Damn » Sunday Jul 08, 2012 9:03 am

My concern was it maybe a bit too hoppy as the ESB already had hops in it. But I can't imagine the starter can to be too much hops.
Damn

Postby Bum » Sunday Jul 08, 2012 12:33 pm

I'd bet my left one that 25g of cascade on top of any kit will not make the beer too hoppy for you if you're actually chasing a SNPA-ish beer. Looks like a nice one, mate. Let us know how it goes.
Bum

Postby warra48 » Monday Jul 09, 2012 6:19 am

Bum wrote:I'd bet my left one that 25g of cascade on top of any kit will not make the beer too hoppy for you if you're actually chasing a SNPA-ish beer. Looks like a nice one, mate. Let us know how it goes.

I think you're safe with that one, Bum, particularly as the Cascade is added half each at 2 minutes and flameout.
Even the 20 minutes cooling will in no way make it too bitter.
warra48

Postby tazcat » Monday Jul 09, 2012 11:25 am

I cant comment on the extract version of SNPA has I haven't tried the recipe, however the all grain version is extremely popular down our way which is well hopped with Amarillo with a hint of crystal coming through.
Why have a sixpak when you can have a keg
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful.
~ Lucius Annaeus Seneca (born: 4 BC died: 65 AD at age: 68)
tazcat

Postby Bum » Monday Jul 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Lots of people love amarillo but it doesn't turn out a very SNPA-ish beer. I'm sure it is popular with good reason, however. Just making the distinction so that Damn doesn't think he's heading down the wrong street.
Bum

Postby SimonG » Monday Jul 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Hi Damn,

I think that SNPA uses Magnum, Perle and Cascade, so it won't be an exact clone of SNPA, but Cascade is a great hop so it should make a very nice APA. Trough Lolly's SNPA recipe is not an exact clone of SNPA either (from memory he uses Chinook, Cascade and Amarillo), however, I have made it a couple of times and it has been one of my favourite recipes (I substituted the Amarillo with Citra because I'm not a big fan of Amarillo in APAs).

How did your Fat Yak turn out?

Cheers
Simon
SimonG

Return to Making beer