Floaties

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Floaties

Postby Chris2012 » Sunday Jul 22, 2012 5:05 pm

Gday forum,

Just sampled a brew at four weeks in bottle and the yeast ( from secondary fermentation ) has not packed down tightly as per norm, it is floating all through out the beer. I had another brew bottled on the same day and it's fine. All my 4 week samples previously have been fine except this one.

Tis a shame to cause its my second bash at Boonie's Beer. The yeast is US-05, the bottles did not move in the 4 weeks. I bottle prime and have never had a problem like this previously.

Any ideas ?

Finish your beer!! There are sober kids in Africa
Chris2012

Re: Floaties

Postby warra48 » Sunday Jul 22, 2012 5:27 pm

US05 is, according to some accounts, prone to not settling very quickly. It's not happened to me personally, but I would think a week or two in the fridge should settle them down.

I tend to age my APA and AIPA for some time after brewing, as they always taste better from about 2 to 3 months onwards, and they always drop bright by that stage.

By the way, Boonie's recipe is a cracker, although I found the hop aroma drops off after 2 to 3 months, back in my early days when I did kits and bits.
warra48

Postby Chris2012 » Sunday Jul 22, 2012 5:54 pm

small diversion..

in regards to the hop drop off, I have been enjoying a batch of Earles 109 Stone and wood Clone. Galaxy was shining. Went away for a holiday only 2 weeks and the hop profile dropped right off during that time. How can we ensure a lasting hop profile? Is it a case of overdosing and leaving bottles on shelf for a longer period or shall we just enjoy immature brewskis ?
Chris2012

Postby Bum » Sunday Jul 22, 2012 8:05 pm

Do you chill/no-chill? Was it dry hopped?

As for the first question - any chance this bottle was carbed stronger than others? I have noticed that opening a very spritzy bottle can loosen the sediment.
Bum

Postby Chris2012 » Sunday Jul 22, 2012 8:33 pm

No chill. When i dry hop i use a fine mesh bag to hold onto sediment.

I looked at a couple other bottles for floaties and they are present.
Chris2012

Return to Making beer