Recommend A good stout/porter

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Recommend A good stout/porter

Postby AJ_Rowley » Saturday Oct 13, 2012 7:49 pm

Hey guys,

With my first batch in the FV bubbling away I have been thinking of my next brew. I want to get a nice stout or porter so as to have for Christmas.

Would anyone know which would be a good kit to go for? I was looking at the Muntons Dockland Porter, has anyone tried this one.

On another note, has anyone tried those new beer kits Festival. http://www.hopandgrape.co.uk/public/detailv1.asp?itemcode=FES20292840 I was just wondering if they would be worth the investment?
AJ_Rowley

Re: Recommend A good stout/porter

Postby Oliver » Sunday Oct 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Hi AJ, and welcome.

It's been a while since I have brewed a dark beer so can't give you any specific recommendations about brands.

However, given it sounds like you're new to brewing, I would look at getting your brewing techniques right before you worry too much about the brand you're using. It doesn't matter what kit you're using if you don't do things like keep temperature under control and sanitise effectively :-)

The thread about simple things to make homebrew better is a good starting point: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1966

I am not aware of the Festival beer kits specifically, but many people have reported good results from the 3kg kits. Having said that, a 3kg kit in itself doesn't guarantee a quality outcome (see above). Others may have come across them.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer