Yeast Starter or Not

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Yeast Starter or Not

Postby USN Smitty » Friday Nov 23, 2012 10:08 pm

Getting back into brewing after 20 years. Should I plan on using yeast starters for every batch or do the smack packs work just as well? I realize high sugar beers need more yeast at the start but couldn't you just double the packs?
USN Smitty

Re: Yeast Starter or Not

Postby emnpaul » Saturday Nov 24, 2012 7:23 am

G'day Smitty and welcome. I'll try to answer your question.

USN Smitty wrote:Getting back into brewing after 20 years. Should I plan on using yeast starters for every batch or do the smack packs work just as well? I realize high sugar beers need more yeast at the start but couldn't you just double the packs?

The answer is a bit more complicated than a simple yes or no. You don't need to make a starter for every batch. Largely depends on the depth of your pockets Vs. how much time you have. Smack packs are an expensive way to buy yeast and I think most people that use them make a large starter, split it into smaller containers for storage and then run them up as separate starters when needed. All that takes time and cost money, but in the long run is the cheaper option. However if you don't have the time or couldn't be bothered you can just use more packs.

That being said, if making a lower gravity ale with a fresh pack or using multiple packs you can just pitch them straight into your wort as you've suggested. Once you've made a brew you can then capture and re-use your yeast cake (the yeast will settle out and form a "cake" of sorts) as I believe the large commercial brewers do.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby big dave » Saturday Nov 24, 2012 11:53 am

Like Emnpaul says, once you have brewed with a yeast, you can re-use the yeastcake. You can also harvest yeast by top-cropping. Dr Smurto hereabouts has some extensive advice in a thread on here somewhere.

Personally, I make starters for all my brews. When I am draining the wort from my keggle, I tap off the last 500ml or so (which contains some trub, but so what....) into a sterilised jar, then pitch my yeast into that. Once it has had a day or two of sitting in a warm-ish place with an intermittant shake, I pitch that into the brew. I brew BIAB's but you could easily make up a starter with extract.
Currently drinking: BIAB DrS GA, BIAB Californian lager, doppelbock of sorts
In the Pipeline: landlord?
big dave

Postby Oliver » Friday Nov 30, 2012 7:04 pm

big dave wrote:Dr Smurto hereabouts has some extensive advice in a thread on here somewhere.

Link
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer