Rice Malt Syrup

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Rice Malt Syrup

Postby SaazGorilla » Thursday Jan 03, 2013 5:37 pm

I've found a jar of Rice Malt Syrup at the supermarket. The ingredients simply say 'Rice', but there is more information at the link below. Do you think this stuff would be suitable as a honey-like addition to brews, possibly even getting brews closer to those that use rice (such as many Asian lagers)? It's an amber colour close to honey and definitely more pale than the stuff in pale ale and lager tins. The price at the supermarket makes it very competitive (price wise) against the liquid malts (or dried malts) one can get at the brew stores.

http://www.pureharvest.com.au/product/organic-rice-syrup
Beers of great men all remind us, we can make our life sublime
SaazGorilla

Re: Rice Malt Syrup

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Jan 03, 2013 6:49 pm

SaazGorilla wrote: Do you think this stuff would be suitable as a honey-like addition to brews, possibly even getting brews closer to those that use rice (such as many Asian lagers)?

In short, yes. I have a jar in my cupboard waiting for a suitable brew.

It's enzymatically converted rice starch, just as malt syrup is enzymatically converted barley starch. The difference is that rice doesn't contain any enzymes (alpha-amalayse etc.) and they are introduced from an extraneous source during the manufacture of said product..
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby SaazGorilla » Thursday Aug 29, 2013 4:28 pm

I've put a jar of this stuff in two of my Lagers this season. Tasting at bottling was great, both times!

The first of the two lagers is performing well in early taste tests - around 6 weeks in the bottle. If the second lager is anywhere near as good (and I suspect it will be), I'll definitely be using this stuff again.
Beers of great men all remind us, we can make our life sublime
SaazGorilla

Postby emnpaul » Thursday Aug 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Strange this thread should pop up again at this time.

I finally chucked the jar of malt referred to in the post above into an IPA a week and a half ago.

Glad to hear you're happy with the results SG.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Return to Making beer