TO MUCH BUBBLE

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

TO MUCH BUBBLE

Postby bobby » Friday Jan 18, 2013 2:57 pm

HI EVERYONE,FINALLY STARTING TO GET SOME GOOD BREWS HAPPENING. BUT I PUT A BLACK ROCK DRY LAGER, USED YEAST IN TIN AND THE DRY EMSYME WITH MORGANS LIQUID MALT BREWED AT 16dg AFTER BREWED LET STAND FOR A FEW DAYS CHILD DOWN FOR A THREE DAYS AT 5dg.BOTTLED IN STUBBIES.DID NOT DRINK TILL 6 WEEKS TAST ALL RIGHT BUT BUBBLES ARE LIKE LEMONADE.
bobby

Re: TO MUCH BUBBLE

Postby wrighty » Friday Jan 18, 2013 4:25 pm

Hi Bobby .
You need to fill in a few blanks for us '
1.Do you own a hydrometer
2.this will tell you SG (starting gravity) FG (finishing gravity)
3.how long was ferment.
You need to be sure the yeast has done its job before bottling or you may risk bottle bombs. :twisted:
If you have stored them refigerated it may be still under fermented this could explain the bubbles.
It may have also stopped the bombs.

Bobby can you turn off the caps seem like your yelling at us
Im not an alchoholic i dont go to the meetings !
wrighty

Postby bobby » Friday Jan 18, 2013 8:08 pm

Sorry about the caps lock,sg was 1044 fg was 1010 it brewd for 25 days
bobby

Postby barls » Friday Jan 18, 2013 8:56 pm

the dry enzyme is the problem, 1010 is still really high for using that. id expect something like closer to 1000 with it.
there is nothing the stop it so it will just keep powering through therefore overcarbonating the beer.
if you degas a sample and measure it again i think you will find it much lower.
barls

Postby bobby » Saturday Jan 19, 2013 6:59 am

Thanks Wrighty,barls,sounds like an easy fix is chilling down to 5dg low enough or shuold i go lower?
bobby

Postby barls » Saturday Jan 19, 2013 8:21 pm

mate chilling wont do it as the enzyme needs to be denatured which means high temps ie around 90 degree. the normal way to deal with this enzyme is to bring to the boil after a set amount of time before fermentation.

chilling it and keeping it cold will slow the process but wont stop it.
the only other option would be to reduce the carbonation level in the bottles. ie chill them down as cold as you can get then crack and reseal the lids reducing the amount of carbonation in the bottle.
barls

Return to Making beer