How soon is soon enough for a little old sample

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

How soon is soon enough for a little old sample

Postby Pogierob » Tuesday Jul 16, 2013 8:33 pm

So I have been contemplating this one for a couple of weeks since sampling a brew that was 3 days in the bottle...

"Sampling" I believe is not only a personal favourite part of brewing but I think an essential part.

I'm not talking about samples from hydrometer samples, I'm talking capped or kegged.

when I bottled I ALWAYS tried a bottle after a week, I considered this to be too early but in the name of science I consider to be essential in research. :D :D

Kegging - I ALWAYS try a pot at the 24 hour mark and 48 hour mark (which generally leads to a couple more).

my question to you is this I guess.

What time frame for what method do you consider to be ok, bad, AWESOME..

Does this time frame change between kit, extract and AG?
Pogierob

Re: How soon is soon enough for a little old sample

Postby earle » Tuesday Jul 16, 2013 8:41 pm

I bottle and usually sample after a week though with cooler temps in winter I'm leaving a bit longer.
earle

Postby weizgei » Tuesday Jul 16, 2013 8:58 pm

Depends on the beer more than the method of brewing I reckon. When I brew a wheat beer (hefe/dunkel) I'm usually drinking it after 10 days or so in the bottle. My pale ale's I'll usually try one after 10 days, but more often they need two weeks.

General rule seems to be the more IBU's, the longer it can take to hit peak condition. I recently cracked a bottle of a heavily over-hopped Dr Smurto Golden Ale (guessing around 50 IBU) I found lurking in the back of my beer fridge...I bottled it back in early Dec 2012...it was good back then...but now it's fantastic. But who has that kind of patience?!
weizgei

Postby CrookedFingers » Wednesday Jul 17, 2013 11:55 am

Hey guys, new member here ! how are yas !?

I'm with you Pogierob. I always sample a brew after 1 week. I do however bottle a couple of clear 100ml bottles with every brew. Helps me see the colour and clarity, also not wasting a larger bottle when sampling if its not good to go.
I find it interesting to see how the flavours mature with more bottle conditioning. You only find that out by sampling !!

Also agree with Weizgei.....it's too bloody hard to leave a brew that long before drinking !!! They do get better and better with age, but I can't leave them that long !! No way ! Haha. Wish I could.
CrookedFingers

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jul 17, 2013 12:32 pm

Welcome to the forum, CrookedFingers. Hope you enjoy yourself.

I can never quite resist the temptation to try a beer after a week in the bottle. Of course, it's usually still tasting a bit green but quite drinkable and carbonated. From that point on it's the beginning of the end for the beer in question because I usually continue drinking them at the rate of one or two a week (remembering that I usually have six different brews in bottles at any one time).

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby CrookedFingers » Wednesday Jul 17, 2013 10:22 pm

Too true I'm sure for many a home brewer Oliver !

Thanks for the welcome !
CrookedFingers

Postby rotten » Thursday Jul 18, 2013 8:29 am

24 hrs to a week !! I'm sampling my kegs 15 mins after they're full :P When I bottled I would sample after a week if supplies were down. Just couldn't help myself.
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby jello » Thursday Jul 18, 2013 5:08 pm

My patience has gotten much better since I started brewing. At least a week for me.
Jeff.
jello

Postby weizgei » Thursday Jul 18, 2013 7:46 pm

I put a dot (.) on the lid of the last 3 or 4 bottles I fill on bottling day for each brew, as they always seem to end up with a bit more sugar solution from my bulk priming. It's handy 'coz they always carb up much faster than the rest, so I can have a cheeky well carbed taster only 4 or 5 days after bottling.
weizgei

Postby CrookedFingers » Thursday Jul 18, 2013 8:13 pm

If I brewed pale ales as nice as the one you so graciously allowed me to taste Weizgei....I would be drinking them straight out of the fermenter as soon as they hit the final gravity !!!!
CrookedFingers

Postby morebeermark » Thursday Jul 18, 2013 8:22 pm

:? Guy's,
Where am I going wrong? I can't seem to get a decent beer at any less than 4 weeks in the bottle. (I've drank many an undecent beers). Green one's tend to leave an unhealthy result the next day.
morebeermark

Postby weizgei » Thursday Jul 18, 2013 8:56 pm

Thanks Crookie, a home brewer is always happy to hear that kinda feedback...

Mark, what sort of beers are you brewing? All my wheat beers (hefe/dunkel styles) are ready to quaff within a week of bottling. Most of my Pale Ale's take around 2 weeks to fully carb (other than the last few bottled), but are drinking really well by 3 weeks. Can you post an example recipe of something you haven't been able to drink within 4 weeks?
weizgei

Postby Oliver » Saturday Aug 17, 2013 2:15 pm

morebeermark wrote::? Guy's,
Where am I going wrong? I can't seem to get a decent beer at any less than 4 weeks in the bottle. (I've drank many an undecent beers). Green one's tend to leave an unhealthy result the next day.

I've split this discussion off here.
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer