Caliente

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Caliente

Postby CrookedFingers » Friday Aug 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Putting a full extract pale brew down right now and just threw in the caliente hops.
Has anyone brewed with these ? Thoughts.

All I know is they smell AWESOME !
More of a present pine smell than chinook or simcoe, also great stone fruit notes !

Looking forward to this one.

By the way, Sorry fellas, I neglected to search, so I'm not sure if there was already a current topic on these hops.
CrookedFingers

Re: Caliente

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Sep 17, 2013 12:40 pm

Hey CF, are you still a fan of Caliente, having presumably now tasted the beer?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby CrookedFingers » Tuesday Sep 17, 2013 5:41 pm

Funny you post that today !
I have a stubby in to taste tonight !

Will update later.
CrookedFingers

Postby CrookedFingers » Tuesday Sep 17, 2013 8:21 pm

Ok.
The caliente I used for buttering does have a nice bitterness, I don't remember the IBU's correctly but I think it is around 40.
I get some spicyness and a good bit of citrus up front.
The tastes are a little all over the shop because of my other flavour/aroma hop additions.
Simcoe at 15 & 5 impart city's and pine resin also.
I dry hopped with mosaic @ 5 days. It's a very fruity flavour, stone fruits. I get an aftertaste of apricot.

So my summary I guess is spicy citrus up front with a herbal flavour and stone fruits to finish.
Overall I am happy with this after two weeks, it will be nice to drink once it settles down and the flavours mellow.
CrookedFingers

Postby Oliver » Tuesday Sep 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Thanks for the update, CF. You're not far off a description of Caliente from Yakima Valley Hops (where you can buy 56g of Caliente or Cascade for $US2.99 :-( ):

The aroma has a little lemon zest and a hint of pine, but it is dominated by a very distinct stone fruit aroma. I got a really nice juicy aroma of fresh peach/nectarine/plum from this hop.

On the palate, the fruitiness is much more subdued. There are notes of peach and lemon, but it's fleeting. It almost reminded me of a flavored seltzer in that respect. As the beer warmed, I started getting a lot more earthy/woody notes coming out. On the flavor side, it seems like Fuggles, but with a bit of fruitiness.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby CrookedFingers » Tuesday Sep 17, 2013 9:53 pm

Ha ! That's funny.
I acredited the citrus and spice to the caliente
I have used simcoe before, that's what I thought the pine was and I was never sure what the mosaic was going to do.
I have read about mosaic and heard about plum/stone fruits, I assume it was them.

Would I be thinking along the right lines if I thought that the new generation US hops would all be similar to the ones that come before as they are possibly related ?
Might have to dry hop with caliente someday.
CrookedFingers

Return to Making beer