BIAB urn or Braumeister ?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

BIAB urn or Braumeister ?

Postby CrookedFingers » Thursday Oct 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Hey all.
I have one of those delightful dilemmas !

My lovely cheese and kisses has just sent my brewing world into a tail spin by telling me she is willing to drop a few grand for my 40th next year.

SO....do I go braumeister or save the $$$'s and go BIAB in an urn or large pot ???

I know there are threads all over the net on this topic, I have read some, I was just after the opinions of you fellas here.

Looking forward to your replies !

Cheers
CF
CrookedFingers

Re: BIAB urn or Braumeister ?

Postby Pogierob » Thursday Oct 03, 2013 9:21 pm

You don't need us to answer that surely!!! You just made this post to let us all know you are getting a braumiester for your 40th.

You lucky lucky bastard...
Pogierob

Postby CrookedFingers » Thursday Oct 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Hahahaha !

For real man, I would happily not spend so much if the benefits don't add up to the $$$'s !!!

Seriously !
CrookedFingers

Postby Pogierob » Friday Oct 04, 2013 6:50 am

At the end of the day, the braumiester has been designed to avoid a few of the BIAB disadvantages. Oliver is likely the best person to ask since he has both systems.
Obvious advantage of brau is that it's programmable, boil time, temperature stages, hop additions. It's stainless steel, and lets be honest here, who doesn't love stainless steel.

If you go for an urn I would recommend doing a bit of research crown urn or Birko. I got a crown urn and had to give it a small under the hood upgrade due to the boil dry switch. All good now though.
But do research of the pros and cons of each system. If I had the coin I would get a braumiester.
Pogierob

Postby Oliver » Friday Oct 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Notwithstanding my comments elsewhere on this forum that I made a few years ago and were recently dragged up in which I poh-poohed Braumeisters, I would go with the BM if you can afford it and you can get it past the minister for war and finance.

Here are a few reasons:
* It's easier - you set the mash temperature (and steps if you like), mash-out time and temp, boil time and when you want it to beep to remind you to add hops and any other ingredients.
* It's consistent - see above.
* It saves time - because it's temperature controlled you don't need to worry about things such as measuring strike and mash temperature because it's done for you. From that point of view I have found I don't stress about going go off and doing other things around the house on brew day.
* You don't have to deal with a bag - at the end of the mash you just lift the "malt pipe" out of the BM and let it drain, and later tip the grain out.
* The element is larger than an urn - you get a good boil without having to do modifications.

I don't think any of these on their own is a reason that I prefer a Braumeister to BIAB, but put together I reckon the BM wins easily.

Having said that, some of the things that I think are upsides of the BM may be downsides for you. For instance, you may find it therapeutic to stand there mixing the mash and making sure the temperature is correct - I know some brewers do.

A fairly massive drawback is obviously the cost, given you can do BIAB with a brand new urn for, say $400 or even less if you go with cheap Chinese stuff (which I wouldn't risk, by the way).

Geoff recently got a Braumeister for his birthday after a much longer BIAB career than I had, so he may have a different take on things or some other comments.

If you don't need the cash for anything else, I say go the Braumeister.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Geoff » Friday Oct 04, 2013 2:59 pm

Last Monday I set the BM going after breakfast, went for a surf, and came back in good time for the boil.

Go Braumeister!
Give a man a beer and he wastes an hour. Teach a man to brew and he wastes a lifetime.
Geoff

Postby CrookedFingers » Friday Oct 04, 2013 6:24 pm

See, now there are a lot of things there that make me say hmmmmmmm.
I was expecting a little more pushing on he BIAB side, I am not against going that way. I like the lower cost of it, the simplicity also. Personal touch with the brew is a good thing.
But if the BM is that good then I have some researching and thinking to do over the next few months. One thing that I keep going back to is the repeat ability of brews. I like the idea of getting a recipe replicated if I really like it.
And yes, like any other red blooded bloke, I love toys and shiny stainless steel !

All be it an easy decision, I am just trying to justify the cost.
Thanks for your input so far guys.
CrookedFingers

Postby emnpaul » Friday Oct 04, 2013 6:41 pm

I've never used or even seen a Braumeister in operation. I've tried stove top biab and have a home made beer keg urn at the moment. I am working on converting this to a single vessel recirculating system. It will work out a fair bit cheaper than a Braumeister, labour not included. You'll need to be a bit handy if you want make one but if you've got some ability then it's pretty cheap and do-able. It's just a matter of time available versus cost.

Mine will be similar to this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXVBNKjS3gs‎

Fair to say that in my opinion the benefits of automation are quite attractive.

Geoff wrote:went for a surf...

You surf, Geoff? Awesome.
2000 light beers from home.
emnpaul

Postby CrookedFingers » Friday Oct 04, 2013 10:19 pm

Thats an idea I have read about before Emnpaul, I am a pretty handy guy, but not handy at all with electronics ! ! I AM good at electrocuting myself however :lol:
I usually like to dive into a project head first, but as you said above the time available would be an issue.
I pretty much have 6 days of work a week and young family to spend my other time with.

I will continue to do alot more reading, and maybe be lucky enough to drop in on a brew day with weizgei if he would allow it, to see BIAB in action, also might try to see the braumiester running at grain and grape.

cheers

CF
CrookedFingers

Postby Oliver » Sunday Oct 06, 2013 10:01 am

Hey CF,

Next time I'm making a Braumeister beer I'll let you know and you can drop over if you like to check it out.

If we get up another brewday at my local with pogierob and weizgei the invitation will be extended to you so you can see the BM and BIAB in action side by side.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby weizgei » Sunday Oct 06, 2013 4:50 pm

CrookedFingers wrote:See, now there are a lot of things there that make me say hmmmmmmm.
I was expecting a little more pushing on he BIAB side, I am not against going that way. I like the lower cost of it, the simplicity also. Personal touch with the brew is a good thing.
But if the BM is that good then I have some researching and thinking to do over the next few months. One thing that I keep going back to is the repeat ability of brews. I like the idea of getting a recipe replicated if I really like it.
And yes, like any other red blooded bloke, I love toys and shiny stainless steel !

All be it an easy decision, I am just trying to justify the cost.
Thanks for your input so far guys.

I should jump in here and put in some info about BIAB via gas, given we've got good info from others on electric urns and the Brau of course....

I bought the various items I needed to move to AG brewing over a couple of months, as things went on sale....in the end, my 4-ring burner was about $70, the 40l alum pot (with crab cooker insert to keep the bag off the bottom during mashout) was $50, and the ball valve setup around $20. So you can be up and running with AG for around $150. Even if you bought similar stuff at full price, or went a 40l stainless steel pot from say G&G, and decided on another gas bottle, you'd likely spend well under $500.

So that leaves over $2,000 in your pocket vs buying a Braumeister. BUT...as a beer lover and gadget geek I'm happy to admit I think the BM is the absolute duck's nuts, and wouldn't be at all surprised if I splashed out on one some time down the track....I love the interaction of brewing with my current setup right now, but that'll probably wear off, and I'd be looking for the ease of use and repeatability that you get with a BM.

And the good thing about these kind of forums is that it's easy to sell your old gear if and when you decide to upgrade, as someone's always looking to buy 2nd hand gear that's been well treated.
weizgei

Postby CrookedFingers » Sunday Oct 06, 2013 7:20 pm

Hey thanks Oliver ! I would be keen as to come in for that !
Weizgei, they are the same thoughts I am having.
Money in the bank V's braumeister.......hmmmm.

I still have a while to make up my mind.

Thanks again guys, the decision is still kinda easy but not !
CrookedFingers

Postby Pogierob » Sunday Oct 06, 2013 8:30 pm

Go BIAB.
Suck it and see
Then if you like, go brau

Sometimes the walk in the garden is better than the flowers you walk past.

Stop smiling.
Get the braumiester
Pogierob

Postby CrookedFingers » Sunday Oct 06, 2013 9:02 pm

hahaha
Thats actually a pretty good idea, going by weizgei's run down it's not going to cost a fortune to get into AG, the brau will come along when and if it does !

Cant say I will or wont yet.
Leaning towards will, consistency of brews is what I really like about it, also the ease.
I sound lazy but its a time thing !

Looking forward to seeing it in action Oliver !
CrookedFingers

Return to Making beer