Filtering beer

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Filtering beer

Postby jexy9 » Saturday May 31, 2014 8:45 am

ok so I brew mainly with extracts, LME & DME, sometimes using grains as well.
And, for storage longevity, I bottle condition.
Although I am prepared to accept the yeast sludge, I want to filter as I bottle to remove any unnecessary other sludge, sediment, cold break etc., but am mindful that I have to get an adequate amount of yeast into the bottles to allow conditioning.
I use a 2 stage sediment cartridge filter (10um then 1um) to remove sediment as I go from the boil tank into the fermenter, after the heat exchanger, and when at correct temp, pitch yeast.
The brew shops don't really give me good enough info on this and googling also comes up with little, but can people make suggestions about what micron filter I should use just prior to bottling and should I use just sediment filters or go for the absolute activated charcoal (carbon) type?
jexy9

Re: Filtering beer

Postby drsmurto » Saturday May 31, 2014 7:55 pm

If you use a charcoal filter you will strip out lots of flavour. You only want a 1 micron filter.

In my experience and opinion having filtered previously, cold conditioning and/or racking in conjuction with a fining agent like polyclar, results in much less sediment in your beer and doesn't strip the beer of anything.

I sold my filter years ago.
drsmurto

Return to Making beer