Adding unmalted wheat and oats

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Adding unmalted wheat and oats

Postby Reefer » Friday May 01, 2015 9:54 am

3kg Light LME
250g crystal malt
175g spelt puffed wheat,
175g quick oats
1 tsp plain flour

Flavoured with:
1 cup water
20g dextrose
10g chamomile flowers
Skins of red grapefruit, imperial mandarin, lemon (half)
15g coriander cracked toasted
2g cumin cracked toasted
10 small home grown vanilla beans
Brought these to the boil separately then taken off the heat and soaked for 60mins.

Started by steeping the crystal in 12L water 70°-75°C for 30 mins.
Added puffed wheat and oats to the resultant wort. (Steeped 30 mins as well.)
Added the 3kg light Malt Extract.
Boiled for 15 mins.
15g Saaz Pellet @15
15g Goldings Pellet @15
Last things added were flavour mixture
and 1teaspoon plain flour @5
15g Cascade @ 0
7g Saaz @0

Topped up to 23L, chilled to 22°C, WB-06 starter pitched and bubbling away nicely within 18hrs.

My question is, what is going to happen with all that unmalted starch?
The Barley in the LME is all fermentable, but the spelt wheat(don't ask) :roll: , the oats and the flour just added a huge cloud of haze. If you look at one well-known brewer, they reckon they use no malted wheat at all in their Belgian Wit.
http://hoegaarden.com/the-brewing/
So what happens to it?
I suppose I will find out in a month :D
Reefer

Re: Adding unmalted wheat and oats

Postby rwh » Friday May 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Normally the starch is converted to sugar during a process called "mashing". This is adding water of a particular temperature (normally around 66 degrees C) to activate the two main diastatic enzymes that are generated during the germination (malting) process. This converts the starch into maltose (two glucose molecules connected together) which is fermentable by yeast, and becomes alcohol during fermentation, and also other short-chain polysaccharides which remain in your beer and give it that "malty" flavour. Crystal malt has already had this mashing process done to it, which is where the term crystal comes from (the insides of the grain look like crystals of sugar).

The unmalted grain and flour that you've added to your recipe won't have been converted, as you didn't do the mashing step. This will add starch to your beer, normally considered a fault in brewing. It depends how much of it settles out and so forth; if you're lucky it'll just make your beer a bit hazy.
w00t!
rwh

Postby Reefer » Friday May 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Hi RWH,
I get the conversion of starch to fermentable sugars in mashing, but

rwh wrote:if you're lucky it'll just make your beer a bit hazy.

And if I am unlucky? Will it be like drinking cold carbonated, nicely hopped porridge? :)~

I only had a go at this because Hoegaarden specifically mentions the main ingredients as malted barley and UNmalted wheat. I assumed unmalted to mean just wheat that has been processed (torrefied, flaked whatever) but not malted.

Every Hoey extract recipe I have seen here has malted wheat added.
Reefer

Postby Reefer » Friday May 08, 2015 6:45 pm

So how should I have mashed the un-malted wheat/oats?
I steeped the puffed wheat and quick oats for 30 mins at 70°C, then boiled the resultant crystal/wheat wort for 15 mins.
Reefer