fermenting time

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

fermenting time

Postby Paley » Sunday Mar 05, 2017 8:49 pm

Hi all. See a lot of questions here about brews not starting fermenting, but mine does'nt seem to want to stop, been 2 weeks now, still bubbling. Its a dark ale, from the Coopers recipe website, mister sinister, I've always had brews ready to bottle in a week, was wondering if the reason this is taking so long is the lower temp I've got it set to in the brew fridge, around 14deg. Woud this be why?? Need to bottle soon before I go on leave.
Paley

Re: fermenting time

Postby Guru » Monday Mar 06, 2017 9:06 am

14 deg is pretty low for an ale so suspect that is why it is taking a lot longer. I normally ferment at around 18 deg and it is always over within 2 weeks. Have you checked the gravity?
Guru

Postby Paley » Monday Mar 06, 2017 6:58 pm

Starting gravity was 1060, checked gravity the other day, not quite 2 weeks in the fermenter,was 1020, still bubbling today, will bring the temp up a bit to try and finish it off. I was worried about the temp when I started as Adelaide was in the middle of a heat wave, but probably over did it with the cooling. Have been doing brews at around 21 deg, but after reading all the good info here thought I'd go a bit cooler this time. Hopefully will be a good brew. Cheers
Paley

Postby Guru » Wednesday Mar 08, 2017 6:59 am

Let us know how it goes.
Guru

Return to Making beer