Common question: My brew is not fermenting

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Re: Common question: My brew is not fermenting

Postby madmick » Monday Feb 01, 2010 3:36 pm

G'day,

Beer is working again, so i'll let it settle, then bottle, me thinx. Yeast must be alive and well! :lol:

I didn't realize finings would make it stop like that! (first time i tried it, see).

Anyhoo, back on track, hopefuly, I didn't add any nasteeees along the way! Although I was clean as a surgeon! :twisted:

Cheers, Madmick.
madmick

Postby bilgerat » Tuesday Jul 05, 2011 11:54 pm

I put down a Deliverance fresh wort stout on 18 June along with a steep pack of extra malt and hops, it has been bubbling along nicely, we have had some bloody freezing nights in Perth so I have the fermenter sitting on a heat pad wrapped in a towel, the temp has been a steady 22 - 24 C
Over the last few days bubbling has reduced quite a bit but still about one bubble every few minutes, checked SG tonight and its 1.014, the OG was 1.043, a mistake I made on this one was filling the fermenter to almost 25 litres so Ive probably diluted the wort, (too many James Squires Golden Ales while brewing )
I dont know what the OG should have been but would think about 1.055, my question is do I leave it a bit longer till bubbling stops before kegging.
Thanks
bilgerat

Postby jello » Wednesday Jul 06, 2011 7:46 am

I personally would never rely on the airlock activity to determine if fermenting has ceased. But 19 days in and still bubbling? :?
Check your gravity in a couple of days time to see if there's any change to be sure.
Jeff.
jello

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Jul 06, 2011 10:57 am

+1 to that. Relying on the airlock as a sign that fermentation is finished is a surefire recipe for bottle bombs! Take another gravity reading in a couple of days and if it's the same fermentation has ceased.

The bubbling you're seeing is more than likely just CO2 coming out of solution.

BTW, in future aim for 18C-22C for fermentation of ales in future. Even though fermentation will take a little longer, you'll get better results.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby rotten » Wednesday Jul 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Throw your fermentor lid and air lock away, and use glad wrap. I did miss the bloop, but got over it when I could see what the hell my yeast was doing.
My 2c
Cheers
Beer numbs all zombies !!!
rotten

Postby earle » Thursday Jul 07, 2011 8:44 am

+1 on the cling wrap. There's so much to see that it easily outrivals listening to co2 going 'bloop'. Plus less to sanitize. Stupid lids and airlocks. :lol:
earle

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Aug 10, 2011 2:05 pm

I have split the discussion on turbo yeast to its own topic: Stuck fermentation with turbo yeast.

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Previous

Return to Making beer