Coopers Stout brew question?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Coopers Stout brew question?

Postby Dory » Friday Aug 20, 2004 7:27 pm

I jsut started brewing a Coopers Stout last weekend. It took a couple of days to get going, temp was about 22 degrees. After 2 days it bubbled a huge amount thru the airlock for about 2 days and then stopped. I haven't touched it yet as I usually leave a brew in the container for 8-10 days before I test SG.

I am just wondering if this is typical of a Coopers Stout or if something has possibly caused the fermentation to stop.
Dory

Postby Oliver » Monday Aug 23, 2004 12:27 pm

Hi Dory,

In our experience, fermentation of dark beers tends to be more rapid than lighter beers.

However, it sounds like you have a similar problem to the one described in the post called "first brew- airlock not bubbling" (See http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17)

In that case, it seemed like there was an air leak, which sounds like your problem. See the above link for tips about solving the air leak.

But as I said in that case, even if there's an air leak it shouldn't affect your beer at all as long as fermentation has finished when you bottle.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Franky » Wednesday Sep 01, 2004 12:19 pm

Hi Dory,

I just put down a Coopers Stout on the weekend and the same thing happened. It bubbled pretty well for about 3 days and now it has slowed right down.

This is only my second brew and I was excited to see it bubbling given my first batch bubbled really slowly.

Oliver, thanks for the tip about dark beers fermenting more quickly.

I might leave it for two weeks and then bottle (I haven't collected enough bottles for this one as I used all the ones I had collected for my first brew). Gonna have to start drinking them!
Franky

Return to Making beer