the weird smell and..

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

the weird smell and..

Postby Stekings » Thursday Aug 26, 2004 10:31 am

hi again..

thanks for all the replies previously.

i bottled my beer yesterday but did a mistake because i did not read the directions on my booklet properly.
i actually took out the airlockand untighten the fermenter lid( but kept it on the fermenter) halfway through bottling my beers... is that okay?

the other thing is that when i smelled the beer it has a smelly smell... i never brewed beer before so i sorta assumed it smelled like that..

does anybody know if it will cause a problem to my beer? thanks
Stekings

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Aug 26, 2004 10:53 am

Relax and don't worry, your beer will be fine

I remember my first brew and was paranoid beyond belief.

If it smells really bad (This is putrid and couldn't possible put it to my mouth) then don't drink it (remember there is nothing that you can brew up in a beer that can kill you)

If it is just something that you can't put your finger on then drive on.

Yeasts and fermentations will provide all sorts of neat and wonderfull flavours and aromas (esters for example) which add to the great taste of a Homebrew that you just can't get from a brewery
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Monday Aug 30, 2004 10:31 pm

Likewise. I was paranoid with my first beer, too. You soon realise that beer's a pretty forgiving creature.

The reason you take the airlock out is so that it doesn't create a vacuum inside the fermenter that may stop the beer coming out the tap or the airlock doesn't bubble into the fermenter. Loosening the lid does the same thing.

Dogger Dan is quite right in his approach: There's nothing in a beer that will kill you.

The smell of the beer while it's still in the fermenter (or the smell of a fermenter after bottling, with just the dregs remaining) can be confronting to the uninitiated, as it is quite pungent, so I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer