clean fermenter

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

clean fermenter

Postby Stekings » Monday Aug 30, 2004 8:36 pm

hi all!

i bought another fermenter whcih is a tooheys one... i think it is designed almost the same way as the coopers fermenter.... one question is how do you take out the rubber seal underneat the lid to clean it.. it seems to be pretty tight in the slot and i have no idea how to take it out to clean it wihtout tearing the seal or smth....

does anybody know?

help will be appreciated!
Stekings

re: cleaning fermenter lid

Postby guest » Tuesday Aug 31, 2004 10:00 pm

Stekings,

You won't need to take the seal out of the fermenter. If you pour boiling water from your kettle over the seal and lid, this should be enough to kill any nasties that are lying in wait to rape your brew.

Postby Oliver » Wednesday Sep 01, 2004 3:20 pm

I always pour some sterilising solution into the lid and around the rubber seal, then leave it to soak for a while before rinsing.

I suspect that a good dose of boiled water, as suggested above, would do that same thing.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby morry » Saturday Sep 11, 2004 10:57 pm

I do the same as Oliver, just pour some boiling water over it. I havent had any sanitary problems yet.
morry

Return to Making beer