Newbie question - planning my second batch

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby afromaiko » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 2:59 pm

These are usually used for marmalade, and I saw another recipe somewhere that actually recommended getting some bitter orange marmalade and using that in your beer. Are these in season at the moment? The might be hard to come by if not.
afromaiko

Postby timmy » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 3:21 pm

I had a thought of using strawberry jam in my beer.....

How fermentable is jam anyway???
timmy

Postby Danzar » Tuesday Dec 12, 2006 3:41 pm

afromaiko wrote:These are usually used for marmalade, and I saw another recipe somewhere that actually recommended getting some bitter orange marmalade and using that in your beer. Are these in season at the moment? The might be hard to come by if not.

I think that's the grumpys recipe.
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby Adzmax » Wednesday Dec 13, 2006 12:57 pm

Did you end up putting down the new one Danzer?

I'm going to get my yeast starter going on Friday arvo and pop into a HB shop on Sat. Any reason why you are using the Blackrock Whispering wheat? Just for something different?
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" :D
Adzmax

Postby afromaiko » Wednesday Dec 13, 2006 2:11 pm

What type of oranges are people using for this? I went to get some today and they had Valencia and Navel.. what's the difference? Does it matter for this beer, since we can't get the bitter ones anyway.
afromaiko

Postby BierMeister » Wednesday Dec 13, 2006 4:31 pm

Danzar wrote:For those looking for the Dried Bitter Orange Peel:

I've visited and rang everwhere from organic food suppliers, herb places, health food stors etc and can't find it.

Hoegaarden definitely use this exact thing in their beer.

Bitter orange peel comes from what's called
Seville Oranges.

I'd suggest you buy some of those, skin them and dry the peel in the usual fashion.

How to dry orange peel
Buy organic versions (pestiside free) - if you can't, get the ususal version and wash using a scrubbing brush.

Skin them, leaving the white part behind.

Lay them skin down on a plate on the kitchen bench for three or four days, or until fully dry.

Presto! Put them in a jar and keep in a dark place (your spice cupboard should do). Weigh this out to 14g per batch when you're ready to make your beer.

At the end of the day, it's not much more work as you'd have to skin the ususal oranges anyway - with this, you just use a different type of orange and start a few days earlier :D

These oranges are the same as used for good marmalade and like bitter almonds are really bitter and have a stronger flavour as well. If you use other oranges you won't get the same orange flavour. Drying is for storability. The only thing different from normal oranges which I would have to correct Danzar on is that Seville oranges are not pleasant to eat. This is why they are used in cooking, marmalade, etc...
Sounds like Beer O'clock.
BierMeister

Postby Danzar » Wednesday Dec 13, 2006 7:48 pm

Thanks mate! We're almost there. You're dead right on marmalades. Problems is that Seville oranges are only in season during Winter.

Very hard to find. I am determined (will try a cold store) and if I can get some, I'll let you know and will put enough together to post to anyone who wants it.

Boonie was kind enough to do a similar thing for me on another recipe.
Danzar

Postby afromaiko » Wednesday Dec 13, 2006 10:39 pm

Adzmax wrote:Ahhh you've inspired me, I'm gonna give this another go now. I'll put one on over the weekend. I'm going to use Wyeast 3944 though.

3944 Belgian Witbier Yeast.
Probable origin: Hoegaarden, Belgium
Beer Styles: White Beer, Grand Cru, Doubles, Spiced beers
Commercial examples may include: Celis Wit, Hoegaarden, Blanc de Brugge

This yeast recommends fermenting at 16-24° C and I'm thinking of doing mine at 18°. Sound OK, or is the higher end of the scale preferable for wheat beer?

AM
afromaiko

Postby Adzmax » Thursday Dec 14, 2006 8:07 am

I usually do mine at 20c. This temp has been reccomended by a few HB supplies stores and a number of sites.
Adzmax

Postby afromaiko » Thursday Dec 14, 2006 8:47 am

With the Wyeast smack packs, aren't they essentially a starter (activator) themselves? I'm not interested in splitting it up at the moment, see how I like this recipe first then maybe cultivate some from a few empties.

The instructions say that once 'smacking' to leave it to swell for 3 hours or more. Would overnight be ok, or is it possible to leave too long? I'm planning to smack on a Friday night and brew midday Saturday.

I had read about people leaving these for 3 days when making starters, but wonder if that's actually necessary. I would have thought that once it swells up nicely thats as active as the pack will get by itself.
afromaiko

Postby Adzmax » Thursday Dec 14, 2006 8:59 am

I split mine but there is really no difference. Just burst the little pack inside and leave it somewhere warm overnight then make your starter from there.

Check this thread out - http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... quid+yeast
Adzmax

Postby afromaiko » Thursday Dec 14, 2006 10:12 am

Adzmax wrote:I split mine but there is really no difference. Just burst the little pack inside and leave it somewhere warm overnight then make your starter from there.

Check this thread out - http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/vi ... quid+yeast

Thanks, reading now. I guess the confusion is because some liquid yeasts come in these smack packs with nutrient included, but others come in little vials or tubes and those are the ones that would probably need a starter.
afromaiko

Postby lethaldog » Thursday Dec 14, 2006 10:15 am

afromaiko wrote:With the Wyeast smack packs, aren't they essentially a starter (activator) themselves? I'm not interested in splitting it up at the moment, see how I like this recipe first then maybe cultivate some from a few empties.

The instructions say that once 'smacking' to leave it to swell for 3 hours or more. Would overnight be ok, or is it possible to leave too long? I'm planning to smack on a Friday night and brew midday Saturday.

I had read about people leaving these for 3 days when making starters, but wonder if that's actually necessary. I would have thought that once it swells up nicely thats as active as the pack will get by itself.

Its not entirely necessary but as others have said it ensures a healthy pitching rate and splitting them up means you have 6 instead of 1, i dont know about you but i would rather split them first up than have to recover dregs out of bottles :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Adzmax » Thursday Dec 14, 2006 10:19 am

What he said :)
Adzmax

Postby afromaiko » Thursday Dec 14, 2006 10:35 am

I'll give this one a go as is, but will have a go at splitting it up next time. Trouble is I can't store them long term in my brew fridge because the temp will vary depending on what brew I have on the go.. and there's no room in our house fridge because it's so tiny. Need another fridge for yeast/hops and lagering I guess :lol: That'll go over well with the missus.
afromaiko

Postby Emo » Saturday Dec 16, 2006 1:07 pm

pixelboy wrote:My fav Wheat/Hoegaarden requires some fiddling but its easy mate :)....

1. Thomas Coopers Brewmaster Selection WHEAT BEER
2. Thomas Coopers Wheat Extract 1.5kg
3. Rind from 2 Oranges
4. 15gms (one pack) Corriander Seeds

Method
1. Take the rind of the Orange's being carefull not to get any of the pith (soft white part). You can use a fine cheese grater.
2. Crush the corriander seeds
3. Empty contents of the Malt Wheat Extract, the orange rind and crushed corriander seeds into LARGE clean saucepan and add a litre or two of water. Stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stiring occasionally, for 20mins.
4. Strain contents into a sterilised fermenter with the contents of the beer can.
5. Top up with cold water (or hot) to 23litres stiring well trying to get it to about 22c-26c then pitch yeast.
6. Give it 2 weeks @ 20c and rack or bottle.

Its a ripper! Was my 3rd brew and I havent matched it yet. Ill be doing exactly the same when I return from NZ in a fortnight.

Trust me.. Its not that hard... and it will taste great.

Being a fan of Hoegaarden, I've just made this up and put it in the fermenter. I used a Black Rock tin instead of Coopers and used 1kg of powdered wheat extract.
Emo

Postby afromaiko » Saturday Dec 16, 2006 1:35 pm

I'm making this recipe today too.

Quick question - with the torrefied wheat, it is ok to steep this in a grain bag rather than loose then straining it? I'm going to use some muslin cloth tied in a knot, accounting for the large water absorption.

Thanks!
afromaiko

Postby Danzar » Saturday Dec 16, 2006 3:05 pm

afromaiko wrote:I'm making this recipe today too.

Quick question - with the torrefied wheat, it is ok to steep this in a grain bag rather than loose then straining it? I'm going to use some muslin cloth tied in a knot, accounting for the large water absorption.

Thanks!

Hmmm, not sure as I usually just steep. Just bear in mind that TW is very mealy and when soaked, will go a bit soggy. Grains come out a lot drier and intact than the TW.

Suggest you use a full kilo too.

DAN
Last edited by Danzar on Saturday Dec 16, 2006 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Danzar

Postby Danzar » Saturday Dec 16, 2006 3:09 pm

Adzmax wrote:Did you end up putting down the new one Danzer?

I'm going to get my yeast starter going on Friday arvo and pop into a HB shop on Sat. Any reason why you are using the Blackrock Whispering wheat? Just for something different?

Sorry Adzmax - I never saw this post. I'm holding out as I really want to try the revised recipe to the letter, hence the mad hunt for Seville oranges.

Chose the Blackrock simply for something different. There are four or five good wheat kits out there.

Next step is to call a marmalade manufacturer (no shit) and I'll find out where they get their Seville oranges during the summer months.

They must be available somewhere.

I don't expect to do this one until January.

How did you go with yours?

Cheers - DAN
Danzar

Postby afromaiko » Saturday Dec 16, 2006 4:15 pm

Danzar wrote:Hmmm, not sure as I ususally just steep. Just bear in mind that TW is very mealy and when soaked and will go a bit soggy. Grains come out alot drier and intact that the TW.

Suggest you use a full kilo too.

DAN

Well, it's away now! I used a whole kilo of torrefied wheat and steeped it in a muslin bag. Let's see how it turns out!
afromaiko

PreviousNext

Return to Making beer