Newbie question - planning my second batch

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby afromaiko » Sunday Dec 17, 2006 12:36 pm

afromaiko wrote:Well, it's away now! I used a whole kilo of torrefied wheat and steeped it in a muslin bag. Let's see how it turns out!

No sign of life yet.. used the 3944 and it's sitting at 20C. How long does this yeast usually take to kick in without a starter? Pack was swollen nice & fat when I pitched it.
afromaiko

Postby lethaldog » Sunday Dec 17, 2006 12:40 pm

Usually 1-2 days, dont be overly concerned if it takes a little longer, relax, have a brew and be patient :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby afromaiko » Sunday Dec 17, 2006 1:25 pm

lethaldog wrote:relax, have a brew

Most certainly have got that step covered today!

Currently enjoying Wassa's honey porter which has just come of age and it's a ripper.

http://www.homebrewandbeer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2540

Cheers!
afromaiko

Postby Danzar » Sunday Dec 17, 2006 3:02 pm

afromaiko wrote:
afromaiko wrote:Well, it's away now! I used a whole kilo of torrefied wheat and steeped it in a muslin bag. Let's see how it turns out!

No sign of life yet.. used the 3944 and it's sitting at 20C. How long does this yeast usually take to kick in without a starter? Pack was swollen nice & fat when I pitched it.

Yep, it's slow to start but when it does, it will likely go off like a rocket (most wheat yeasts do anyway).

Suggest you leave a slight gap in the lid when your airlock is bubbling regularly.

It will stop thee froth from pushing up through your airlock.
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby afromaiko » Sunday Dec 17, 2006 7:38 pm

Starting to see a little bit of froth on the surface now almost 30 hours after pitching. I let the temperature come up a little bit to 22C and that seemed to help, but will drop it back down again soon.

Yep, it's slow to start but when it does, it will likely go off like a rocket

I think that's part of my problem, I keep watching it out of paranoia that it will explode!
afromaiko

Postby Danzar » Sunday Dec 17, 2006 8:07 pm

afromaiko wrote:Starting to see a little bit of froth on the surface now almost 30 hours after pitching. I let the temperature come up a little bit to 22C and that seemed to help, but will drop it back down again soon.

Yep, it's slow to start but when it does, it will likely go off like a rocket

I think that's part of my problem, I keep watching it out of paranoia that it will explode!

Don't worry too much. It doesn't happen with every wheat yeast. If it was going to, it probably would have by now.
Danzar

Postby Adzmax » Monday Dec 18, 2006 10:08 am

I've got my starter on at the moment so I'll try tonight, havn't used this yeast before but I've noticed with the other Wyeast I used it took off a lot quicker with a decent starter. I pitch at about 26c and let it drop back to 20-22 for a good healthy start.
"Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer" :D
Adzmax

Postby Adzmax » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 2:25 pm

OK, I put this one down last night too.

One thing I have problems with is the Torrified wheat. I find it sucks up SO much water that I struggle to get any for the fermenter. How have you guys gone? How much liquid are you getting out?
Adzmax

Postby N.C. » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 4:56 pm

One thing I have problems with is the Torrified wheat. I find it sucks up SO much water that I struggle to get any for the fermenter. How have you guys gone? How much liquid are you getting out?

I was wondering about putting the torrified wheat through the food processor before steeping. Can anyone think of a good reason not to do this?
N.C.

Postby lethaldog » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 4:58 pm

It may cut it a little to fine, in saying that i have never used it but you wouldnt want to have just dust left :lol: :wink:
Cheers
Leigh
lethaldog

Postby Danzar » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 5:54 pm

Adzmax wrote:OK, I put this one down last night too.

Had the same problem first time. Just increase your steep amount. I'd go 5-6 times weight, or 5-6 litres per kg. You should get enough then. If not, increase again.

There's no major harm provided you boil the liquid afterwards and strain properly (otherwise your water will be a tad gritty).
Danzar

Postby N.C. » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 8:01 pm

Something that has been on my mind a bit of late - what is the reason for straining? Why not just chuck the extras into the fermenter and strain at the time of racking or bulk priming?
N.C.

Postby Danzar » Tuesday Dec 19, 2006 10:01 pm

N.C. wrote:Something that has been on my mind a bit of late - what is the reason for straining? Why not just chuck the extras into the fermenter and strain at the time of racking or bulk priming?

You can, however with certain types of grains & wheat (most types in fact, particularly wheat) the 'bits' are light enough so that when you bottle, they'll still be floating around in your beer at the end. They're not dense/heavy enough to sink to the the bottom and embed themselves in the yeast cake, unlike hops.

At the end of the day, it's about weight/density vs the water. :D
Danzar

Postby Adzmax » Wednesday Dec 20, 2006 8:27 am

Danzar wrote:

Had the same problem first time. Just increase your steep amount. I'd go 5-6 times weight, or 5-6 litres per kg. You should get enough then. If not, increase again.

There's no major harm provided you boil the liquid afterwards and strain properly (otherwise your water will be a tad gritty).

Yeah I tried about 5 litres for 1Kg and left it to steep for 30 mins and just found that most of the water ended up IN the puffed wheat. I ended up pouring water through the puffed wheat to try and get out soom of the goodness. Will see how I go!

I think next time I'll do 500g in 5 litres twice and then cool the water after a boil.
Adzmax

Postby afromaiko » Wednesday Dec 20, 2006 9:00 am

I did a kilo into about 5 litres. Put it into a muslin cloth bag so I was able to give it a bit of a squeeze out which worked well. Gave it a bit of rinse and another squeeze too. Just remember when using a bag to allow about 3 times the size of the dry grains for when it absorbs the water and swells up.

Once added to main pot with malt etc, all up I ended with about 12 litres of boiled wort. I cooled the pot in the laundry tub with some water and ice around it, and then added it to the fermenter. Topped up mostly with icy water that I'd chilled in the freezer in a plastic 10 litre jerry can I just bought from Aussie Disposals for $8.

Pitched the Wyeast 3944 at 22C without making a starter, took a good day to kick in during which the temp dropped to about 20C. I increased it back to 22 for encouragement and now have it sitting on around 18C in the brew fridge and it's merrily bubbling away.

Krausen wasn't as bad as expected, perhaps only 10cm or so. I have a Coopers fermenter which is bit fatter rather than taller and the foam only just rose above the handle cut outs. I don't think it will get any higher now.
afromaiko

Postby Adzmax » Wednesday Dec 20, 2006 9:14 am

Good idea mate, I use some lace stuff I got from spotlight. It's like a very fine mesh and works pretty well. Muslin cloth would be better though becuase you avoide more of the mushy rubbish. I'll give that a go for the next one.

Mines sitting on about 22c (hard to tell with the dodgy stick on) but I have it sitting in a big tub of water with a wet towel around it today to keep it cool.

I REALLY need to get a fridge, I'm on the look out at the moment.

My Krausen is about 10cm too. I made a starter and fermentation kicked off in about 12 hours. I'd say it's about right for this yeast.
Adzmax

Postby afromaiko » Wednesday Dec 20, 2006 9:21 am

Adzmax wrote:Good idea mate, I use some lace stuff I got from spotlight. It's like a very fine mesh and works pretty well. Muslin cloth would be better though becuase you avoide more of the mushy rubbish. I'll give that a go for the next one.

Spotlight sell the plain muslin cloth, it was a little hard to find so just ask them and they should be able to help you out. It was $3.99/m and is folded double on the roll. I've seen other stuff in a tube before that a mate had (from HBS?) but the stuff I got from Spotlight was just a sheet.

Cut a huge piece and tie up like a pudding. Or, if you know someone with a sewing machine, get some drawstring cord while you are there and you could make up a few grain & hops bags quite easily & cheaply.
afromaiko

Postby Adzmax » Wednesday Dec 20, 2006 9:25 am

Cheers mate, will do!

Hey how'd you go with the Orange? I ended up using the rind off one orange and had in boil for only 5 mins.

I also used Goldings hops.

What about you?
Adzmax

Postby afromaiko » Wednesday Dec 20, 2006 9:36 am

Half Goldings for 15 mins, half Saaz at the end.

Tried zesting some oranges with the proper zesting tool thingy, wasn't getting much yield, so ended up thinly slicing off the top layer of two Valencia oranges and then chopping that up a bit finer. Added in last 5 mins. Corriander was in the boil for 15 mins.

Had trouble getting it all back on the boil once added the water from the torrefied wheat. I was using one smaller pot to steep that, then another big pot for the main boil.

I suggest getting the steeped water boiling again before adding to the main boil and then proceed with the hop additions from there. Also added the malt in two lots, half at the start with first hops, half at the end.
afromaiko

Postby Adzmax » Wednesday Dec 20, 2006 9:43 am

Yep, zest tool bites. I use a sharp knife and shave the orange.

Mine was a 5 min boil with half goldings and corriander and wheat malt then another 5 with the rest of the hops and orange.

25g of hops in total. Will be good to compare the two!
Adzmax

PreviousNext

Return to Making beer