Newbie question - planning my second batch

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Postby KEG » Saturday Jan 06, 2007 11:11 am

Danzar, that recipe sounds great. I definitely need to buy a bigger pot to get into this sort of thing :(

Really looking forward to trying it.
KEG

Postby Emo » Sunday Jan 07, 2007 12:41 pm

Emo wrote:
pixelboy wrote:My fav Wheat/Hoegaarden requires some fiddling but its easy mate :)....

1. Thomas Coopers Brewmaster Selection WHEAT BEER
2. Thomas Coopers Wheat Extract 1.5kg
3. Rind from 2 Oranges
4. 15gms (one pack) Corriander Seeds

Method
1. Take the rind of the Orange's being carefull not to get any of the pith (soft white part). You can use a fine cheese grater.
2. Crush the corriander seeds
3. Empty contents of the Malt Wheat Extract, the orange rind and crushed corriander seeds into LARGE clean saucepan and add a litre or two of water. Stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stiring occasionally, for 20mins.
4. Strain contents into a sterilised fermenter with the contents of the beer can.
5. Top up with cold water (or hot) to 23litres stiring well trying to get it to about 22c-26c then pitch yeast.
6. Give it 2 weeks @ 20c and rack or bottle.

Its a ripper! Was my 3rd brew and I havent matched it yet. Ill be doing exactly the same when I return from NZ in a fortnight.

Trust me.. Its not that hard... and it will taste great.

Being a fan of Hoegaarden, I've just made this up and put it in the fermenter. I used a Black Rock tin instead of Coopers and used 1kg of powdered wheat extract.

Well, I bottled the Hoegaarden clone today. It certainly tasted pretty close to the real thing (considering it was warm and flat). Three weeks in the fermenter in some pretty warm weather appears to have done it no harm. Anyway, bottled and out in the garage it goes. I'll sample it in 4 weeks to see how it's going.
Emo

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 11:50 am

I'd be very interested in the results of the Hoegaarden clone. Thinking of doing this shortly...
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby rwh » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 1:38 pm

I've done a Hoegaarden clone. I reckon it tastes better than the real thing! :lol:
w00t!
rwh

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 2:23 pm

It's so simple...is it really that good? IS it creamy like Hoegaarden without the torrified wheat?
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby rwh » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 3:37 pm

All I know is it's very tasty, and very popular. It's a clean beer, more like a lager than a heavy ale, but it may well be lacking the creaminess; I wouldn't know because I'm not a wheat connoisseur. ;)
w00t!
rwh

Postby Pale_Ale » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 4:42 pm

Hmm might give it a go
Coopers.
Pale_Ale

Postby danthebeerman » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 6:38 pm

pixelboy wrote:EDIT: Your welcome to try my recipie but its been tested and improved.. this is the latest version! :)

My fav Wheat/Hoegaarden requires some fiddling but its easy mate :)....

1. Thomas Coopers Brewmaster Selection WHEAT BEER
2. Thomas Coopers Wheat Extract 1.5kg
3. Rind from 2 Oranges
4. 15gms (one pack) Corriander Seeds

Method
1. Take the rind of the Orange's being carefull not to get any of the pith (soft white part). You can use a fine cheese grater.
2. Crush the corriander seeds
3. Empty contents of the Malt Wheat Extract, the orange rind and crushed corriander seeds into LARGE clean saucepan and add a litre or two of water. Stir and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stiring occasionally, for 20mins.
4. Strain contents into a sterilised fermenter with the contents of the beer can.
5. Top up with cold water (or hot) to 23litres stiring well trying to get it to about 22c-26c then pitch yeast.
6. Give it 2 weeks @ 20c and rack or bottle.

Its a ripper! Was my 3rd brew and I havent matched it yet. Ill be doing exactly the same when I return from NZ in a fortnight.

Trust me.. Its not that hard... and it will taste great.

Sorry to intrude on a thread,

PIXELBOY how does you recipe for wheat beer compare to redback wheat beer. I think redback isno good and a waste of money. I would rather brew a wheat beer than buy one it was that bad. That way if i don't like it i can give it to friends and they'll like it because its free.

Dan
THINKING IS THE HARDEST WORK THERE IS. THAT IS WHY SO FEW PEOPLE ENGAGE IN IT!
danthebeerman

Postby anthony » Thursday Jan 25, 2007 11:05 pm

Question from those who have made this recipe with torrified wheat: Does it give you the true white beer colour and cloudyness of hoegaarden?

I have made a coopers brewmaster wheat without the torrified wheat. Happy with the flavour but not the colour for this style.
anthony

Postby pixelboy » Friday Jan 26, 2007 7:34 am

Mate I think its better than the current redback.. got loads more flavour. Grab a hoegaarden from your local bottleshop, thats more what we are aiming for here..

If your gunna have a go Id suggest to add about 30gms of SAAZ to my original recipie or have a go at danzar's refined recipie...
pixelboy

Postby pixelboy » Friday Jan 26, 2007 7:40 am

anthony wrote:Question from those who have made this recipe with torrified wheat: Does it give you the true white beer colour and cloudyness of hoegaarden?

Yeah, my last one did did.. its cloudy but not like coopers... I steeped 2 packs of sanitarium puffed wheat and drained into the boil.

Worth a go anthony :)
pixelboy

Postby Danzar » Friday Jan 26, 2007 10:38 am

Yep - you get the cloudiness but you can't replicate the super pale colour with a K & K - it's got something to do with the base malts used in a K & K extract, compared to all grain.

It will be a cloudy pale yellow, not a cloudy white so to speak.

Creaminess comes from the torrefied wheat.
Jesus is coming - look busy
Danzar

Postby anthony » Friday Jan 26, 2007 10:47 am

Thanks for that... will be putting one down with the wheat, Realise it is impossible to get it the right colour with the kit - I will be more than happy if it significantly reduces the amber colour that I got on my last coopers wheat :)
anthony

Follow Up with Danzar

Postby snowman » Tuesday Apr 17, 2007 1:21 pm

Hey Danzar,

Have you posted any results of your Hoegaarden Clone recipe.

Cheers
snowman

Postby timmy » Tuesday Apr 17, 2007 2:57 pm

timmy

Previous

Return to Making beer