is it a good time to brew Mexican Cerveza (Corona Style)?

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

is it a good time to brew Mexican Cerveza (Corona Style)?

Postby Stekings » Tuesday Sep 07, 2004 4:28 pm

i want to make a mexican cerveza for beermakers.. but i dunno if it is a good idea to brew it now.. i dun have any heating methods available and the temp here in the northeast region of VIC gets to around 3 or 4 at night lately... is it a good idea to brew the cerveza now?

please let me know.. thanks
Stekings

Postby wazza » Tuesday Sep 07, 2004 9:30 pm

Interesting you ask this, I'm just about to bottle a beermakers cerveza I put down last week.

I use an aquarium heater so cant really comment about the temperature... I will say though that it came with this "pilsner enzyme" which I added as instructed without really knowing exactly what it was.

I took a gravity reading today and was surprised to work out it's at 6.1% alc ... I put in 1kg of dextrose and 175g of corn syrup.

I was actually looking for a more refreshing 4 - 4.5% alc ... aparently this enzyme makes the yeast convert more sugars than usual ... giving a dry finish ... If this was explained in the shitty instructions I would just have added 900g of dextrose

anyway It tasted promising

Cheers

Wazza
wazza

Postby morry » Saturday Sep 11, 2004 10:56 pm

Mate, if youre worried about your beer being too cool, then go down to kmart or somewhere and buy yourself a brewbelt. Its a little plastic strip with wires inside that sits around the outside of your fermenter. Plug it in and your away. And they only cost about 30 bucks. I use one and it keeps the brew at a nice temperature.
morry

Return to Making beer