Foamy beer

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Foamy beer

Postby Saxton » Monday Sep 13, 2004 9:05 pm

I have a problem which nobody seems to know the answer.

Most of my beers I get good reports from my friends who are all Home brewers, but the problem is, no way can you get the beer into the glass, before the head takes over, which is thick and creamy, the head slowly changes to beer, and will stay in the glass long after the beer is gone.

I use standard procedures, and all are brewed at 25 degrees. I would appreciate your help.
Saxton

Postby morry » Tuesday Sep 14, 2004 4:12 pm

I have found this with a couple of brews. There doesnt seem to be much head over the first couple of weeks, however, after a couple of months, one of my brews was hard to open because it was too well carbonated, this resulted in more head in the glass than actual beer. Dont know why it happens though.
morry

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Sep 15, 2004 9:25 pm

There a couple of things you can do,

1. Cut back on the priming sugar ( I batch prime using 200 g of dextrose for 23 litres.

2. Cool the beer, which allows more CO2 to be dissolved into the liquid than when warm.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 4:59 pm

Also leave your beer for longer before bottling. It may be that fermentation appears to have ceased, but is still ticking along slowly and continues after bottling, leading to the overcarbonation.

As for priming, I tend to use only half a teaspoon in each longneck, and less in ales.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Postby crawfy » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 8:59 pm

I find that bulk priming fixes this problem, I tend to prime my 20-23 ltrs with 180g-200g of Dextrose. With my stouts I tend to reduce this so as to have a more creamy head.
I have also been racking my beer after the primary ferment. I tend to allow my wort to ferment for 5-7day's then with a hand syphon pump ( sterilised) I rack the wort from the top down into another fermentor or carboy. I then add 70g of dextrose to start it's natural clearing and conditioning, at 7day's I bottle.
All of my beers up to date have been exceptional. So if you want more info on racking etc drop me a line!!!
regards
The Crawf
crawfy

Return to Making beer