Long fermentation

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Long fermentation

Postby Super Max Power » Wednesday Sep 15, 2004 7:57 pm

Hi all,

I have recently brewed a Coopers Sparkling Ale, but was concerned about the length of time the fermentation went for. I was expecting it to take a little longer due to the fact it was mostly malt, but not as long as it did.

It took about 3 weeks before the bubbler even started. Even then it didn't stop by 6 weeks so I just bottled it. It does not taste off. Brew was kept at constant 22degC.

I always thought that while a brew was bubbling it meant that the yeast was converting the sugars to CO2 (hence my reluctance to bottle). However I have since found out that a brew can go past the fermentation stage and begin to break down the sugars that give mouth feel.

Can someone please explain this to me better?
Is it still OK to bottle?

At the moment I do not test the SG of the brew. If I test it when I "feel" the brew should be done and get the same readings over a 2-3 day period will this prevent me leaving a brew in the fermenter too long?

Thanks,
Max.
Super Max Power

Postby morry » Wednesday Sep 15, 2004 8:43 pm

The longest ive ever left a brew is about 3 weeks and it was fine then. Not sure when autolysis (i think thats what its called) kicks in. As for the bubbling, that how Ive been bottling lately, cos I broke my hydrometer. Whenver it stops bubbling, I bottle.
morry

Postby Dogger Dan » Wednesday Sep 15, 2004 9:22 pm

I'll give it a go,

You nailed it, looking strictly at the airlock to see if it is bubbling will not always give a true story

I had one that got going stopped and then seemed to fire up again. What is happening is that new sugars are being developed as your carbohydrates break down and the yeast is converting them into alcohol.
and is due to an aggressive yeast. It just doesn't want to give up.

In most cases this is at a slow rate, If your brew temps have been constant then you should be done in two weeks, Check the rate that the airlock is spilling CO2. If it is very slow, say a bubble every 30 sec to a min then drive on, you are done.

I could give you hydrometer stuff but I like doing it more by look and feel and sound.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Super Max Power » Wednesday Sep 15, 2004 9:46 pm

Thanks lads,

If the sugars are going through this further stage of breaking down and still producing CO2 - Will adding more sugar when I bottle cause the bottles to explode?

If not, how does adding more sugar stop this process?
Super Max Power

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 1:57 am

No, they wont, the gas being produced is relativly insignificant and the environment changes enough to dorment the yeast naturally.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer