FG Seems too high

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

FG Seems too high

Postby Benji » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 4:35 pm

Hey guys,

I am currently in the process of brewing a Coopers stout with 250g Light Malt, 500g Dark Malt, 250g Corn Syrup and 250g Rich Brown sugar also added some golding hops (used yeast provided with can). My initial SG was 1045 and it has now been on for 7 days but the FG has dropped to 1016 and has stopped there (taken measurments the last couple of days) does this sound like it has ready for bottling given that the final alcohol content is only jsut 4%?
:?
Cheers
Benji

Postby Oliver » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 6:31 pm

Mmmmm. It does seem a bit high to me. Allowing for a drop of 75% in the SG (which is a rough approximation), you should be looking around the 1011 mark or a bit lower.

What's the temperature it's fermenting at?

Does it appear to still be bubbling?

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

FG seems to high

Postby ashy » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 8:26 pm

Benji,
I have also had a few problems with the stouts and the FG readings which have remained high. I have just checked up on the last three Coopers stouts I have done and they were

OG 1048 - FG 1012 alc 5%
OG 1054 - FG 1018 alc 5%
OG 1052 - FG 1018 alc 4.75%

Your mixture is similar to what I have done with some variations on them all. As per bottling I have bottled all mine without a problem.

Some of the above I have used Safale yeast.

I would like to get my stout alcohol up to around the 6% mark (as per commercial ones). Any tips would be helpful

Ashy
ashy

Postby Dogger Dan » Thursday Sep 16, 2004 9:06 pm

Yep, You should be fine, you have a high amount of adjunct and it is a stout so it goes to figuring that the SG should be high.

Go Ahead and Drive on, all will be good and I expect to hear about a full bodied beer with good head.

Think about backing your priming sugar back a bit (say 180 g dex) to reduce the carbonation a bit.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Benji » Friday Sep 17, 2004 9:43 am

I need to make a slight correction ... I used the Morgans stout not Coopers (first time not using Coopers)...

It is brewing around 22-24 C and it stopped bubbling a few days ago ... bubbles rapidly for about 3 days then stopped.

One thing i did notice was left the beer that i tested for FG in the tube overnight and it has now dropped to 1012... Why would this happen?

I am going to take another reading today and if it is the same then i will just bottle it and see what happens.

Thanks all for your assistance.
Benji

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Sep 17, 2004 11:45 am

I will go out on the limb and say temp changes, the other might be that some of the yeast has dropped out.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer