Is my brew fermenting

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Is my brew fermenting

Postby Billy » Friday Sep 17, 2004 9:33 pm

Hi I have a Coopers Lager kit on for 5 days and no bubbling in air lock. Have done 20 second pressure test ,no leaks. SG is 1018 and constant 20- 21 C. Same temp when yeast was pitched(kit yeast). Tastes like beer and small frothy head in tester. What has gone wrong or can I try?
Billy

Postby Oliver » Saturday Sep 18, 2004 11:13 am

Billy,

This sounds like it's still a bit high (depending, of course, on what ingredients you used). Have you taken an SG reading on two consecutive days to see if they're the same? If they are, bottle the bugger. If not, leave it for a few more days.

In any case, you'll probably find a few more days won't hurt, as it gives the beer a chance to clear.

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Is my beer fermenting

Postby Billy » Sunday Sep 19, 2004 9:35 pm

Oliver, Thanks for the reply. Have checked SG and still dropping at day7, 1014. I used Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 ( Dextrose & Maltodextrin) added to kit. I have also put some vege oil on seal and air lock now bubbling! I think i will leave it a while longer before bottling. Have you used or heard how the Cascade kits go? PS Great web site!
Billy

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 20, 2004 1:08 pm

Billy,

Good to hear the brew is progressing. I'm not sure what the intructions say on the Cooper's kit, but the SG should probably drop a bit lower yet.

I haven't heard any reports of the Cascade kits, so I'd be interested to know how it turns out.

Glad you like our website. As you can probably tell, we love beer!

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer