GOOD head - NO head

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

GOOD head - NO head

Postby rain » Saturday Sep 18, 2004 3:48 pm

Not quite four weeks in the bottle but I am impatient to try my 3rd brew
- Beermaker's Munich Larger (23 ltr) 1Kg Dextrose 1Kg Brewcraft Enhancer #40 @ 22-24C.
Beautiful:
. colour;
. clarity;
. carbonation; and
. taste.
So what's wrong? The first stubbie produced a long lasting foamy head, but the secont stubbie NO HEAD AFTER ABOUT FIVE SECONDS. The only effect I had on them both was the second stayed in the cooler about an extra hour.
Anyone have a thought? I pour into a glass for the visuals only - usually drink from the stubbie - so this was a disappointment.
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Sep 19, 2004 12:39 pm

To most things I would assess this as being a dex issue, the problem is you got a winner the first time.

Ok, try washing your glass in cold water only, it keeps oils and soap suds from adhering to the galss which normally knocks the head down.

Additionally, beer temp, colder, less head, more CO2 dissolved into beverage.

Next question, All important, Do you prime your whole batch or bottle by bottle?

Priming the whole batch with aboout 200 g dex for 23 litres will give a uniform carbonation through out while bottle priming means each bottle will be different, which may lead to your problem.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby rain » Sunday Sep 19, 2004 4:16 pm

DD - thanks for the reply.
My beer glasses are never washed in any sort of detergent, but I do chill them - I prime using Brewcraft Carbonation Drops, bottle by bottle.

Interesting; today, out of four stubbies opened - three were great but the other had loads of undesolved matter.

Your refrigeration factor is most likely right. Again my thanks.
EVERYTHING is worth my interest!
rain

Postby Guest » Sunday Sep 26, 2004 12:06 pm

hmm carbonation drops. i've never tried them but i drank a beer of my mate's where they were used and it had a head like coca cola.
dude, try priming with dextrose.
-wombat

Return to Making beer