Over Carbonated

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Over Carbonated

Postby Matty » Sunday Sep 19, 2004 11:13 am

I bottled a Morgans Yukon Brown Smoked Ale in June and it's over carbonated, it's got big Lemonade type bubbles (I think I bottled it to early). I'm gonna take the caps off all the bottles and re-cap them, any suggestions how long to leave the caps off to get the carbonation level down. I was guessing maybe 1/2 - 3/4 of an hour?

Cheers

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby Dogger Dan » Sunday Sep 19, 2004 12:46 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't do that just yet. Get your bottles cold, cold will allow more CO2 to dissolve into the beer, the other thing is it will break your bubble size down. Large bubbles, smalll bubbles, don't mean jack except temperature.

I will post CO2 vs Pressure profiles tomorrow or next day as this is becoming an issue.

If your bottles blow, fine knock the caps off and be prepared for a booze up, I don't know any really good way of fixing over carbonation.

Chin up

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Postby Matty » Sunday Sep 19, 2004 9:18 pm

I've had some bottles in the fridge for atleast a month, and still like lemonade........... :cry:

Matty
I know u think u understand what u thought I said, but I don't think u realise that what u heard is not what I meant.........
Matty

Postby Oliver » Monday Sep 20, 2004 12:59 pm

Hi chaps,

Interestingly the Morgan's Yukon Smoked Ale was one that I've had trouble with in the past with overcarbonation.

A pattern, or mere coincidence?

Cheers,

Oliver
Oliver
Administrator

Return to Making beer