temp variations & FG reading unchanged

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

temp variations & FG reading unchanged

Postby ADAM » Friday Sep 24, 2004 11:47 am

Hi guys,
Great site...and i need a bit of advice...started a brew (and accidentally let it get too hot (above 28C) for couple of days ...very active bubbling but when i reduced temp (got as low as 16-18C) it has stopped altogether. The FG reading has been on 1018 for 2 days now with no activity. Have had in fermenter for 5 days so far!
What should i do?
1.Reactivate with some more yeast (and maintain constant temp around 20-21C). will this affect taste?
2. Wait as the drop in temp will cause the brew to take longer to reach a lower FG reading? how long...12-14 days?
3. simply warm up the fermenter to a constnat 20-22C and do nothing else?
4. Assume the foetal position and lament how badly i brew (try to) brew beer!
ADAM

Postby Super Max Power » Friday Sep 24, 2004 4:11 pm

Adam,

Go with number 3 - Bring the temp back upto 20-22 degC and see if the yeast starts again.

If it does not start again check the SG. If the SG is OK, it has finished fermenting anyway. Taste it and see if the brew is OK - the high temp may have made it a bit funny but I think it should still be OK.
If it is too horrible to drink go with number 4.
Then go and get another brew and start again - you have learnt something new.
Super Max Power

Postby Dogger Dan » Friday Sep 24, 2004 9:06 pm

Number 3 Chum

Don't worry about the high temp, It is my experience temp profiles are way overrated anyway.

Dogger
Dogger Dan

Return to Making beer