Homebrew and Methane

General homebrew discussion, tips and help on kit and malt extract brewing, and talk about equipment. Queries on sourcing supplies and equipment should go in The Store.

Homebrew and Methane

Postby Evo » Tuesday Apr 26, 2005 6:08 pm

A while ago, my brewing buddies, Jase and Fot and I all brewed a keg of beer for Fot's party. All good. Everyone loved the beer. The only problem was that after a few, the old methane levels started to rise. It was good in a way. You got a bit tipsy, maybe started talking to someone you hadn't met before and then bang, you belt one out. It's a great way to break the ice.

We tried to narrow it down to food but it seems, like the dog, it wasn't the culprit. Since then, at subsequent piss ups, I've noticed most of my mates get a bit "vocal" in that department after a few homebrews.

We're not on our own here are we ? C'mon, you're amongst friends. I blame the fact that homebrew has unfiltered yeast (I don't have a dog), but then again, I was never that noisy when I used to drink Coopers Red.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby grabman » Tuesday Apr 26, 2005 7:47 pm

jeez and there I was thinkin' it was just me!!

My dog is copping a lot of the blame, poor bugger.

You know they're bad though when even the dog gets up and leaves the room :twisted: :twisted:
Some people say I have a drinking Problem....
I drink, I get drunk, I fall over....
What's the problem?

http://www.brodiescastlebrewing.com/
grabman

Postby Shaun » Tuesday Apr 26, 2005 10:07 pm

Lets take it one step further I find I have the worst AGB's after a big night on homebrew. The wife tells me the methane level goes up the darker the beer gets as well.
Shaun

Postby Jeff » Wednesday Apr 27, 2005 9:42 am

I always feel more bloated after drinking homebrew than when drinking store-bought. I've put the extra farting and burping down at various times to over-carbonation or incomplete fermentation

Its a bugger though so if anyone has ideas to reduce it please share
Life is too short to drink crap
Jeff

Postby Terry » Wednesday Apr 27, 2005 11:12 am

Nah, wherever you be let the wind blow free. Its natures way of instigating male bonding - beer and fart jokes. Just don't break the ice at parties with those, pull my finger is definitely not a pick up line.
Terry

Postby Antsvb » Wednesday Apr 27, 2005 1:13 pm

Agree with your wife Shaun.

Darker beers affect me more.
'Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.' - Benjamin Franklin.

Antsvb.
Antsvb

Postby Oliver » Thursday May 05, 2005 12:05 pm

Funny you should mention this, Evo.

I've just come back from a week or so in Noosa and Coolum (Queensland, Oz, for those of you from other parts of the world).

While there, I had the misfortune* to consume a fair amount of Boag's Draught. My wife complained bitterly that it made her fart like a trooper (is that a mixed metaphor?).

I also blame it for mixing with my insides, although I think its effect on me was to bloat me.

Anyone else experienced this?

Oliver

* While Boag's Draught is not the worst beer in the world, it's not easy to switch to from Cooper's Pale Ale.
Oliver
Administrator

Postby Guest » Thursday May 05, 2005 12:13 pm

My take on this aspect of beer drinking is to offer a few words of advice- the worst, absolute WORST, combination is either Guinness & Thai food, or home brew of any sort with curry.
You do NOT want to know details, trust me.

Postby flosso1 » Thursday May 05, 2005 12:25 pm

Not to upstage anyone, but the after-affects of Mongolian food and beer almost killed me on the car trip home. Basically with Mongolian you prepare your own dish and give it to the cook who cooks it before you. While using an abundance of garlic and ginger in your sauce seems like a great idea at the time, I didn't send the funny side of it when I had to pull over on the way home to avoid suffocation.

Apologies for the slightly off-topic post
flosso1

Postby Friar » Saturday May 07, 2005 10:27 pm

Never had any trouble with the old home brew but give me one of CUB's dreaded Vitamin B's and look out. What ever you do don't strike a match

Friar
I'm not as think as you drunk I am
Friar

Postby bobbioli » Sunday May 08, 2005 8:08 am

I've also noticed lately, esp. the next day after 8 or 9 homies, methane yeast all over the dam place. Me thinks it may have somtin ta do with the yeast. But that'll never stop me. 8)
I like beer oh yes I do. doo daa doo daa. I like beer oh yes I do. oh daa doo daa day
bobbioli

Postby Evo » Thursday May 26, 2005 10:41 pm

Not to dig up the past, but my man John Palmer, aka Dr Homebrew, concurs on this phenomena. Rather than blaming the dog, he points the finger at maltodextrin.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter20-1.html

Not sure how right I think this is (I don't use much maltodextrin in my beers), but at least it adds weight to the argument.

Oh, and if you haven't read How to Brew, there's the link above. It's a good read.
Evo - Part Man, Part Ale
Evo

Postby beermeister » Friday May 27, 2005 10:31 am

I've found that drinking the sediment at the bottom of some homebrews (I haven't got into racking yet) can have some unfortunate gastric consequences.

I must say that stout seems to promote "regularity"!
beermeister

Postby the Baron » Friday May 27, 2005 12:56 pm

Thanks Evo, I think that man is onto something, as I like my beers thick and strong enough to walk on so a bit of maltodextrin always seems to make its way into the fermenter, makes my arse very rancid the next day and AGB's atomic
This is the writ of the Baron, thou art truly blessed.
the Baron

Postby Guest » Saturday May 28, 2005 11:53 am

difficult subject this

Had a green Thai Chicken Curry with 6 bottles of Morgans lager and almost reached take off velocity on the throne the next day.

avoid really rich foods

Postby tommo » Saturday May 28, 2005 12:04 pm

don't let the bottom fall out of your world :(

have a curry mixed with a few homies,

and let the world fall out of your bottom :lol:
i like em fruity
tommo

Postby Kevnlis » Saturday Aug 25, 2007 8:02 am

Reminds me of the joke "Rover get out from under the table" :lol:
Prost and happy brewing!

O'Brien Gluten Free Beer
Kevnlis

Postby Boonie » Saturday Aug 25, 2007 7:15 pm

Thought it was just me.......but the dregs of my HB deifintely have something to answer for.....

On the black, look out things will get nasty :lol: , whether it is HB or Tooheys Old

Cheers

Boonie
A homebrew is like a fart, only the brewer thinks it's great.
Give me a flying headbutt.......
Boonie

Return to Making beer